SEA FOAM | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SEA FOAM

Ahh.. I knew what I wanted to say.. just didn't get my point across... (fun of typing instead of talking)...

Just wanted to make sure people knew to not just pourt it in when running, then drive around.. those people are missing a step of the process (the wait step)..

now that I re-read it, if I didn't know what I was trying to say, I would have taken it the same way you did..

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I figured it was a typo. :cool:

sea foam is the ****!!!!

i have a moped and put an entire can in the tank yesterday, started her up and she flew. no more carbon in my engine. i was going for flames comin out of the exhaust(i have it straight-piped).

hey, Hartman i tried to undo the hose you said on my OHV, but it started for about 3 seconds then died, so i did it again and died.:( so i out the hose with still no sea foam in it but on. it started fine. so i pulled a smaller unused vac line to the rear of the motor, still run so i turned around to get the sea foam and I got about 2 steps and she died:mad: so I put the plug back in started again and run fine!! WFT:mad: What am I doing wrong? Am I a moron? HLEP

Hmmm, it shouldn't die if you disconnect the brake booster line. It will idle rough, but it shouldn't die. Have a person inside the truck keep it from dying while you pour the liquid in.

OK, I will do it now, but I will use the throttle cable myself, by the way thanks for the fast reply, what was that 12 seconds!!! Just give me 5 minutes and I will tell you how it works out.

I don't know if it helps.. (you may have already got a helper)...

It is a pain in the rear for me to get the brake booster hose off.. Soo.. I just took the cap off the 1 capped spot on the vacuum t and put on some vacuum hose..

It isn't a big vacuum leak (like the brake booster will be).. and it won't suck up that much fluid at one time (brake booster hose is pretty big).... That may be enough to keep if from dying if you can't find a helper..

~Mark

Worked, great I am letting it soak for 5 mins now. By the way what does the hose right behind the booster hose do. Mine is not hooked up!! it has a small bolt in it. I was told tat this is not the original motor. And thanks again, I wanted to do it this morning since the air was still.

Does your cruise control work?

There are several vacumm hoses coming off the tree port from the back of the upper intake. Without knowing more about your truck its impossible to tell you where it is supossed to go.

Does the truck have an auto tranny?
How about cruise control?
what year truck and what year engine.....

Smoke show was good, not great,..too windy!
To answer you 410fortune, she is a 93 EB 4.0 OHV with 76,200 miles. Today I did the oil and switched it over to synthetic, and put a fram sure drain in. Yes, the cruse works I know which one that was because it stopped working one day and I found a hose and a nipple and hooked it up and it worked again, and as you know every nipple needs a home! But this may help the OD does not work nor does the 4X4,with the 4X4 I hit the small white button in the back by the jack and the LED does not light up and no here can tell me why not nor have I been able to find or search why? I will get it looked at by a pro because I cannot finger it out for the life of me. but I need $ first, hopefully with some Christmas money.Thanks for everyone's help and input!!!:) :) :) :D ;)

there should be a vacuum line going to your transmission as well.

One goes to the throttle body/canister purge solenoid
one goes to the vacuum canister on the pass side
One goes to the booster
ONe goes to the cruise control

I think thats it for the tree on the back of the upper intake.

the vacuum line to the transmission could/could not be why your OD does not work.

Also it sounds like you have some issue's, they could be related too.
thed computer controls the OD shift in the transmission, it also is hooked into the 4x4 electric shift system, based on a signal from the neautral saftey in the tranny.

So to fix the 4x4 lets start here:
Have you checked the fuse?
Does the truck have auto hubs?
Whats the history of the truck, you said its not the original engine, is it the original transmission?

frist if you knew me you would know that i have not some issues, but a lot of them.
:confused::banghead: :mattmoon: :chug: :bounce: :eek:
1) No auto hubs, manual
2) All fuses are good, relays well I do not know how to test those.
3) I did the trany filter and gasket, a month ago, judging from the look of the fluid I would say yes it is the original trany.

sea foam ownz joo

I did this so I could get rid of ping and go back to running 87. I put the seafoam in through the throttle body. The engine wanted to die a lot so I revved it while my dad poured it in through a hose. Havent driven it yet, but I'm going to in a few minutes when it's done soaking. I put 1/3 of the can in like it said...I got about a little less than 3/4 tank of gas so should I just pour the rest of the can in the tank or wait til I refill so it will mix better?

I used Seafoam in my 93 Sport to get rid of ping, and no luck, at least not completely. About half a can went into the tank with 8 gallons, and about 4 or 5 oz got sucked in through the PCV valve, but like I said, I still have some, not as much, ping. I don't think I have a manifold leak because plug 5 is normal gray (no oil), and when I do an oil change, I get as much out as I put in, no oil consumption whatsoever. I've often thought the ping might be a piece of sheet mettal banging somewhere, but since I can't find it, it must be ping. Does anyone have a sound file of ping?

Have you tried higher octane rated gas?

i just ran some SEAFOAM last night.

I had read the suggestions to use the brake booster vac line to pour it in.

well i thought about that, then i asked myself maybe there is a longer line i can get to that would be easier to work with.

a quick look around the engine bay lead me to the vac line that goes to the bi-metal valve on the back of the stock air box ('91-'94, ?)

about half way between where it would attach to the air box and the vac tree, there was a connection. don't know if it was just mine or if they are all this way.

anyway i pulled the line apart (no tools required) and fished it out from around other things. Now I had a 1.5-2 ft peice of line attached to the vac tree to put the seafoam in. added the seafoam while working the throttle witha screw driver and re connected the vac line.

worked like a charm and i honestly beleive it was easier than disconnecting the line to the brake booster

just thought i would share

Yeah, I've filled up twice so far with Cheveron's Plus which is 89 octain, I think, but honestly haven't paid that much attention since I switched. I'll check it out later, but I would rather find out why it's pinging and go back to 87 instead of having to go up in octain. I already have the 1/4 inch piece of line so I'm gonna run another half can down the vacume cluster and see what happens.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i seafoamed my ex last week, and i've already noticed some gain in gas mileage,

i think i'm gonna do it again sometime soon just to make sure the motor is clean

Back