• Register Today It's free!

SEA FOAM

Badali05

Reaction score
City, State
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Eddie Bauer
I was wondering if anyone had any pics or extremely clear directions on how to get to the PCV Valve or Brake Booster Line and pour in the SEA FOAM on a 1991 Explorer.

Thanks, Derek

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I took the hose off and put it in the can.

7134brakebooster.jpg

That is the brake booster line. Undo the end that goes into the master cylinder. With the engine warm and running, SLOWLY pour 1/3rd of the can into the hose. The suction will pull the liquid in. Do not stick the hose in the can. If the engine intakes too much at once it can hydrolock it. If the engine starts to die, rev it up. After all the liquid is in, turn off the motor, reconnect the line, and let the motor sit for 5 minutes. Then take it on a drive for 10 minutes. You may get LOTS of white smoke, although I did not.

yup that is the line i did it through

I just removed the cap from one of the unused vacuum fittings on the tree and put a 1/4 inch piece of hose on it and attached the funnel to the other end... seemed to work well.

later
brian

I use a mason jar, put 1/3 of can of Sea Foam in the jar.
Then use the brake booster line to suck it in like a vacuum cleaner. Whenever the engine starts to buck and want to die, I simply remove the brake booster line from the Sea Foam liquid for a few seconds, and put it back in after I let the engine get going again.

what exactly does the sea foam do for the engine? just clean the inside? what exactly are you supposed to gain from this? thanks

Do i disconnect the brake booster line with the engine running, or disconnect it then start the car?

I disconnected it first, then started the truck.

Also on the pic above, do i disconnect the left or right side of the hose to put the SEA FOAM in?

Okay the hose in the picture above goes from the engine intake to the brake booster.

The brake booster is the large round canister on the right, I hope you can guess where the engine is.

You do not want to POUR Sea foam into your brake booster!
IN fact you dont want to pour it into anything.

The vacuum from the engine will actually suck up the sea foam. However you dont want it to suck it up too fast or the engine will die!

You want to keep the engine running and slowly let it suck up the sea foam.....so it will start to bog down, pull the hose out of the sea foam, it will return to a smooth idle, let it suck up some more...etc etc etc...

Let it go through about 3/4 of the can of sea foam, put the remainder in the gas tank.

Then, hook the HOSE BACK UP and make sure it is on there right....take the truck for a drive and WATCH the grey smoke pour out the back....dont worry it will stop.

If I remember correcly... The instructions say 1/3 can into a vacuum line..

I personally did 1/2 can...

Also, the instructions say turn the truck off while putting the fluid in.. then let it sit 5 minutes (might be 10 minutes)... Then start the truck.. in a WELL VENTILATED AREA.. and blow the crap out (when the smoke stops, the crap is out)..

~Mark

NO NO NO the instructions say to warm the engine up and leave it running while pouring. If you pour the liquid in without the engine running, you could hydrolock your motor.

Also, the instructions say turn the truck off while putting the fluid in.. then let it sit 5 minutes (might be 10 minutes)... Then start the truck.. in a WELL VENTILATED AREA.. and blow the crap out (when the smoke stops, the crap is out)..

I've never used it, but from everything I read you DO NOT want to be pouring this into the engine while it is shut off.

what is the difference of doing it this way then pouring it right into the tank?

Dead Link Removed

It targets different parts of the engine I'm assuming.

Originally posted by exploder94
what is the difference of doing it this way then pouring it right into the tank?

The difference is that the Sea Foam will clean different areas depending on where you put it.

Pouring it in the gas tank will clean the injectors, fuel rail, fuel lines, and upper cylinders.

Letting it get sucked into the upper intake manifold will clean the top end (upper+lower intake manifolds)...and also the upper cylinder area...when you do both it's attacking the carbon from two different directions, which I think is always better.

Hartman,
I checked the can again..

It says to warm the engine, pour in the seafoam (suck it up through a hose).. THEN TURN OFF THE ENGINE. Since the instruction say to let it suck it up, it won't keep going into the engine when you turn it off.

when you turn off the engine, you do NOT keep pouring.. You just let it sit...

Then start it again later to blow everything out...

If you did keep pouring it in, you would most likely hydrolock your engine.. that would be bad.

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's exactly what I just said.

You said this:
Also, the instructions say turn the truck off while putting the fluid in.

That is the incorrect way to do it.

Back