Sealing lower intake manifold 1996 4.0 OHV | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sealing lower intake manifold 1996 4.0 OHV

MattinEugene

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer 4.0
I am rebuilding my engine (slowly) and the time has come to install the heads and intake manifold. Seems like all the available intake manifold gaskets are two piece, without anything to seal the ends (front and back of the manifold to the block). Am I just supposed to lay a big line of gasket maker goo across those and squish it into place? Seems like a poor solution. Thanks!

I had the same issue, and ended up doing as you said "lay a big line of gasket maker goo across". Terrible design.

You can what I did here: Misfire when cold

Thanks so much for that. I'll be putting it together this afternoon!

One more question -- the oil pan gasket I have has two little ears that go down in by the sides of the main bearing cap. But the kit also includes a "wedge seal" that it says to use in addition. It's a long semicircle maade out of what might be considered zip tie material, and it fits over the cap and its wide ends wedge down beside the cap.. Seems like if I use the white plastic wedge seal, the ears on the gasket won't fit. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again!

Back