Search-Fu has fail me. Hellp needed in 3 areas, | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search-Fu has fail me. Hellp needed in 3 areas,

renswic

Reaction score
All 3 areas are on my wife's 96 Eddie Bauer edition with the 4.0.

1. This one is the top thing I'd like a hand with. We have 2 kids(10 month old girl and 3.5 year old boy). The boy knows how the window switch works and likes to make it go up and down, over and over and over. In high heat, rain, highway speeds ect ect. Easy fix is to lock the windows.

Problem is that I want control of my window with out having to ask my wife roll it down. On our old car it was as simple as sniping the window lock wire on the front passenger window. But I'm having a bear of a time finding a diagram for the windows. Anyone have one they can post or email me, or know what wire to snip?

2. Picked up an auto dimming rear view mirror, again same with the window problem the lack of diagrams is killing me on this. Looking on where the wires connect to and if it is controlled by the computer or not.

3. Headlights. I've searched and have seen a number of posts stating that there are clips that need to be pulled in order to pull the light. Where the hell are they? A pic would be most awesome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I've found out I can't post attachments to this message. I was going to attach a pdf file of the wiring diagram for your wife's 96 window wiring.

I got the diagram at www.ebscohost.com but you need a log-in password. It turns out many public libraries have an arrangement with ebscohost that allows library members to access the repair manuals on the site with their library card number. that's what I do. It might be worthwhile to check with your local library.

Meanwhile, the power window lock button on the driver's door actually cuts off 12V power to the other three windows so just snipping a wire won't work.

The rear seat window switches and the front passenger switch all get 12V on pin 4 which has a red wire with a light blue stripe.

If you can find a way to get 12V to that wire in the front passenger's door switch your window will work when your wife uses the Window lock switch to lock out the rear window switches.

I've just looked at the front passenger's door power lock switch. It has 12V on pin 2 (pink/yellow stripe). Assuming the driver's window lock switch doesn't also cut off power to the front passenger's door lock switch (I don't see that it does but a voltmeter will confirm power) you should then be able to run a jumper wire from pin 2 of the power lock switch to pin 4 on the passenger's window switch.

That should let you use your window while the kids in back cannot.

I've been comparing diagrams to see if the jumper might cause unexpected problems but I don't see anything. Both the locks and windows ultimately get their power from fuse 5, 30 amp, in the power distribution box under the hood.

If you try this let us know how it goes.

Hope this helps.

About question 2, you mention you picked up an auto-dimming rear view mirror?

If your wife's truck is an EB doesn't it already have an autosense mirror that turns the headlights on automatically after dark? My 99 Sport does and it includes an automatic day/night function for the mirror.

I'll give that a try
About question 2, you mention you picked up an auto-dimming rear view mirror?

If your wife's truck is an EB doesn't it already have an autosense mirror that turns the headlights on automatically after dark? My 99 Sport does and it includes an automatic day/night function for the mirror.

We have always had to turn the lights on by hand. Mirror is a basic one. I'll take a 2nd look and see if we can get lucky and have the harness for the mirror tucked into the head liner in case the mirror was replaced at some point.

Section 17-01: Lighting, Exterior

1996 Aerostar/Ranger/Explorer Workshop Manual

REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

Procedure revision date: 10/26/2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Headlamp Assembly, Explorer

Removal and Installation
Disconnect battery negative cable.

Remove blind rivets (2) attaching screws (4) and radiator upper sight shield.

Remove turn/park lamp attaching screws (2) and pull assembly away from body. Remove bulb sockets from housing and remove lamp assembly. Repeat on opposite side of vehicle.

With turn/park lamp assembly removed, screw attaching grille to front fender flange is accessible. Remove grille attaching screw. Repeat on opposite side of vehicle.

Remove attaching screws (4) located across top of grille.

Grip lower edge of grille and pull outward to disengage from retaining clips. Remove grille.

Using needle-nose pliers, compress barbs on headlamp housing retainer. With barbs compressed, pull forward on housing just enough to disengage from retainer. Repeat on opposite side of headlamp housing.

Turn headlamp housing as necessary and pull forward to disengage from headlamp aiming ball socket.

Disconnect wiring from headlamp bulb socket.

If replacing headlamp housing, remove retaining collar and bulb.

For installation, follow removal procedures in reverse order. Make sure to check headlamp aim.

Headlamp Assembly, Explorer

I'd have to think the mirror was replaced as you suggest. I can't imagine an EB would come without the autosense mirror.

Hopefully you'll get lucky and find the wiring up there somewhere :)

P.S. I e-mailed the wiring diagram a few minutes ago.

Here are the diagrams for the autolamp circuits. The first one is the diagram for standard headlamps(no autolamps). Hope they help. :)
noautolamp_zpsf41a6fed.gif

autolamp_zps86fc8deb.gif

autolamp2_zps30d765d3.gif

autolamp3_zps6a983429.gif

After seeing Albi1cnobi1's reply I got curious and looked up the standard and optional equipment for a 96 Eddie Bauer and was surprised to see the auto on/of headlights and auto-dim mirror were an option.

After seeing Albi1cnobi1's reply I got curious and looked up the standard and optional equipment for a 96 Eddie Bauer and was surprised to see the auto on/of headlights and auto-dim mirror were an option.

Yup according to this:
1996 EXPLORER 4-DOOR 4X4
Built: August 16, 1995
Paint Code: YZ
Tutone Paint: DZ
Trim Code: Z4
Gross Weight: 5,420lbs

Original options on this vehicle

226,911 vehicles matching your year and description in our database.
Code Description
EJADF 3200 LB(1451 KG) REAR AXLE ASY
TR0DI 4 SPD AUTO EAO A4LD*E/4R44/55E
EGAMD 4.10
D2XAC 7 X 16" 3 SPOKE CHROME STEEL WHEEL
D2YEG 7.5 X 17" SPORT ALUMINIUM WHEEL
D2SE5 7J X 15" 8 HOLE DIRECTIONAL ALLOY
EM0H0 ALTITUDE REQUIREMENTS
AC0C0 ATC AIR CONDITIONER
EN0LT COLOGNE 4.0L OHV EFI NA V6 GAS
B5WAG CONSOLE-FLR-FULL UNIQUE
AAAAM EDDIE BAUER (R)
AACTC EDDIE BAUER VERSION PACK
IBABF ELE LUX DIGITAL STEREO/CASS/CLOCK
EGLAB FORD/VISTEON AXLE VENDOR
JBKAB FRONT FOG LAMPS
CLVAB FRT LICENSE PLATE BRKT/HOLDER
DEBAF IMMERSION HEATER-ENGINE
PNDEA LIGHT SADDLE
D3MAB LIMIT SER/MINI SPARE TIRE
AAGAN LOUISVILLE PLANT BUILT
BMLAE LOWER B/S MLDG
HKDAB MESSAGE CENTER
EGJAB NON-LIMITED SLIP REAR AXLE
F57HN NOT DEFINED
B5VAB OVERHEAD CONSOLE
PNYW3 OXFORD WHITE
D3JWA P255/70RX16 OWL A/T (4)
BYPAC POWER 6-WAY DRIVER SEAT ADJUST
ABKAB POWER EQUIPMENT GROUP
B2GAE PRIVACY GLASS
BLYAB ROOF RACK INCLUDING CROSSBARS
000DD SADDLE
D17AH SPARE WHEEL-MINI STEEL
GTDAB SPEED CONTROL
GRAAC TILT STEERING WHEEL
IDBAD WITH 6 SPEAKERS
IBFAC WITH CD PLAYER AUTOCHANGER
ABIAB WITH ELECTRONIC GROUP
BDCAB WITH LOAD AREA COVER
BYQAF WITH PASS 4 WAY POWER SEAT ADJUSTER
CFEAB WITH REAR WINDOW WIPER/WASHER
BLBAB WITH RUNNING BOARDS

It never came with it. Will have to search for a cargo cover though.

Back