• Register Today It's free!

Searched but need some advice

03Mach1

Reaction score
City, State
New Orleans, La
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
Well the vehicle is a 95 Expolrer Eddie Bauer 2wd 4.0. Runs strong and everything else works, has pretty much just been an a to b type car when the space was needed.

My little brothers car blew up so I am going to give it to him until he finds something else. I noticed the other day that when driving it it has a whoow, whoow, whoow sound comming from the front end. You notice it alot more under braking than acceleration. Lets say from a cruising of 45 you can't really notice it but as you slow down it gets more pronounced and louder. He does not want to spend alot on the truck as he will probably only keep it till this school year is out, but I don't want him driving something unsafe. Any ideas as to what it could be??

Also the AC is out. it has the electronic a/c controls, the fan will come on it just won't blow cold air. Tried re-filling it but I think there is a leak and too much air in the system for it to take a charge. It is low now so the compressor would not come on but I jumped the compressor to see if the clutch would lock up and it did. We have the insulation on the accumulator so I am guessing that is where the leak is. Would it be worth it to replace the accumulator and O tube, pull a vaccume and try to fill it with R134? If a new accumulator and O Tube did not fix this what would be the next thing to look for?

Thanks.

Sounds Like A Bearing Hub

Sounds like you are doing wheel bearing. Jack up the truck and see if you can wobble the wheel. If it is loose it is likely the bearing. You can buy a replacement on Ebay (I just did the same job) for about $85 inc shipping. I found how to instructions on this forum. If you have the tools and the time ( a couple of hours), it is quite easy.

Now when you say wheel bearings I have a 2wd, so I do not need to replace the whole hub. I should just be able to replace the inner and outer bearings and races on both sides, repack with grease and call it a day right?

What did you get for $85.00 the bearings or an entire hub?

Back