Searching for usable Tall Valve Covers 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Searching for usable Tall Valve Covers 5.0

TekMan05

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT 5.0 V8
Hey everyone,

Been busy so I haven't been on the forums much. But I'm looking for anyone that would know what are some decent valve covers for GT-40p heads with aftermarket rockers. I have 1.65 Scorpion rockers with a .560'' lift cam so the stockers won't fit. I have old F-150 covers now that was only meant to be temporary. I'm wanting to get them out and swapped for two reasons. One being the paint is cracking from the lousy duplicolor paint. Two, I believe one is leaking oil that is making me believe it's the rear main seal (again) but I can sometimes smell it burning off the exhaust and see some staining on the back side. I remember the edge of it having a little ding on the bottom so that's a likely possibility. Anything not chrome would be preferable as well. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im interested in this one also. Its a challenge to find some that are taller, but not so tall that the upper intake requires a spacer.

I think [MENTION=61294]vroomzoomboom[/MENTION] has some that fit this description.

technically i have two sets (both that are on the motors) that i believe are these

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/tfs-51411801/overview/make/ford

the one set i have are on the sport with the supercharger. that motor has stock rockers on it, but it no longer has the upper intake on it (the supercharger is there). it also clears the egr tube, just.
the second pair look to be the same. they are on the second truck i have at the moment. this is a 347 stroker (that will be going into the sport) that has crane 1.6 rollers on it, but it also has a spacer between the upper and lower intake. i do not know if it is on there for better air flow, or so it will clear the valve covers however.

Awesome, but I'm assuming that the picture doesn't show that one of the covers should have an oil fill side? Will I have to use a funnel from now on with those covers? What about the breather line that goes to the intake tube as well? Clearance shouldn't be an issue if those F-150 covers clear and I got the intake spacer as well on mine.

they should come with a oil fill tube (mine have them). you can drill a hole on either side for it. same thing goes for the breather line.

So I just got the Proform Ford Racing Licensed Slant Edge Valve Covers from jegs. They're plenty tall enough looking at them initially even a smidge taller than the F150 covers. Although they look like they should barely clear because of the intake spacer. There's some concerns if it'll work though. The gromment holes are on opposite ends so the front one where I'd use for an oil fill would be on the drivers so there's no way to make a tube there. I could possibly make a custom hole back on the pass. side like the oem setup? What you guys suggest? Also noticed that there's only one top mounted bolt hole on the intake side of these covers but hopefully should still button down tight enough.

20141106_152328.jpg

20141106_150643.jpg

20141106_150635.jpg

20141106_150624.jpg

Old setup...

20141106_150711.jpg

20141106_150723.jpg

Maybe make another hole for an oil fill tube?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-51400800

Also, judging from the picture of your current setup, your venting the valve cover(s ?) to the air. This is an issue for tuning if you are still using your pcv vacuum system. The system I am seeing is no longer a closed system, so extra unmetered air would be entering the intake (Unmetered air from the open valve cover being pulled thru the motor and in to the intake via the pcv valve).
You should really address this issue.

The open valve covers could be run together using 3/8" line and back in to your intake tube after the maf. That would solve the unmetered air issue easily, and keep your pcv system intact.
If you have addressed this, and I can't see it.....forget my ramblings.

I'm really interested in seeing how this works out. Very nice valve covers.

I'm kind of confused by what you're referring to open valve cover? If you mean the grommet by the egr its actually a plug grommet. The only difference from this setup and before the rebuild is the custom fill tube location. It still has the nipple with a hose running into my air intake tube which was on the passenger side with the stock valve covers. And thanks these are powder coated so I want to make these work

ok, from the pic it looked like that grommet in the valve cover was open.

Carry on. :D

It would be a shame to cut and weld in a oil fill tube. A Grommet style push fit would keep them looking pretty.
Keep in mind, Im learning from you. I'm not sure anyone here has the answers your hoping for.

I don't have access to a welder so I'd probably be better off with a clean circle cut then use a grommet then probably the push in tube you linked earlier. Seems to be a fairly flat surface on the top front portion. That may work then plug up the open grommets. You think it's necessary though to have to weld in a little splatter shield under the oil fill tube like under the open valve cover grommets? Or they only there because of the open grommets for breathers?

I would only worry about the breathers, unless you will be having the oil fill cap off while your running the motor.

Alright, I now have the trick flow oil filler tube. Kinda wish it would be a screw in cap instead of press in. So tomorrow I'm gonna hunt down some groment plugs and find a hole-saw bit for my drill to make the holes. Then next monday I'm gonna tear off the upper intake and try to see if I can make these covers fit. Wish me luck, I'll try to take pics and maybe a few short video clips while I'm at it. Would be a good time to upgrade my throttle body too to compliment my cammed engine lol. We'll see!

Thanks for keeping this thread alive.
I do have a question.....
Are the aftermarket rockers pedestal mount? could you take a pic of them when you have the valve cover off also?

They're adjustable roller tipped Scorpion rockers. So they're quite different than stock, I will definitely get a shot for you as I'm also gonna inspect everything on there as well to make sure nothing is showing any unusual wear. My valve train makes a little bit of LIGHT chatter and sewing machine sounds but nothing that will make me think it's out of the ordinary. From what I understand some OHV engines with cams and rockers will have those characteristics. Now before I added in the hardened push rods on the other hand. I learned the hard way on that but got lucky I didn't have a valve kiss a piston.

No intake spacer between upper and lower intake? I really didn't think there would be room for adjustable rockers without that intake spacer for more room. That nut on the top of the adjustable rocker is quite a bit higher.

Also, did you have a machine shop drill the holes for the rocker studs? I have read the existing pedestal holes are not all in alignment. I'm learning what works with what. Its not straight forward.

Well dang! Ran into a snag that has already stopped my project.
I got a stuck thread in my upper intake manifold that will not budge. It's NOT a bolt. The last time the manifold was off the right bolt size for the one under the plate cover was misplaced so my friend cut a thread instead and used a nut to tighten it down. Well now this is preventing me from removing it. Any ideas?

20141228_233853.jpg

No intake spacer between upper and lower intake? I really didn't think there would be room for adjustable rockers without that intake spacer for more room. That nut on the top of the adjustable rocker is quite a bit higher.

Also, did you have a machine shop drill the holes for the rocker studs? I have read the existing pedestal holes are not all in alignment. I'm learning what works with what. Its not straight forward.

I do have the phenolic intake spacer which is why I went with these style valve covers as it should be able to clear. The whole reason I'm replacing these covers is those F-150 covers were the only thing at the time I could use as money was tight that would clear the rockers. The stock Explorer covers are too short. And yes, the machine shop that worked my heads did tap the stud mounts for I belive 7/16''.

:thumbdwn:Well today I attempted to install the valve covers. Of course they don't fit. Would barely fit under the AC hose and fuel rail inlet nose but then became stuck by pressing against the Driver's side header :( . So I will have to sell these covers and come up with a new game plan quickly. I really was looking forward to installing these as they're very nicely crafted. I'll have to measure the F-150 covers as those barely fit but still clear my Rockers. Anyone have any advice?
20150316_192751.jpg

20150316_192743.jpg

Just an observation, you probably have a reason, but why is the cover upside down? looks like you have the right cover on the left side in the pic?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did lol. I went back and tried the other one but was still having issues with clearance with the driver side header. Was not letting the holes line up right and was rubbing pretty close. Jon is gonna powder coat the F150 truck covers for me and I'll just sell these Ford Racing ones. The F150 ones I know at least will clear both the headers, accessories, and rockers. I thought they were the sole reason for the oil leak that was burning off that side onto the header and on the ground. But it seems to be a combination of loose bolts and PCV hoses off the t connect under the manifold.

Back