• Register Today It's free!

Seat belt buckle won't release

extra-medium

Reaction score
City, State
Charlottesville, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
When I got to work yesterday, my seat belt wouldn't release. No matter how much pressure I put on the button to un-click it, it wouldn't let to. I pulled enough out to slip out from underneath it, but not all the way so it would lock. I have searched the forum and haven't found my same problem. Any ideas how to get it to release? I tried inserting a pocket knife between the seat belt buckle and the button to try and separate the pieces if they were stuck, but it was just too wide to do anything. I am at a loss and really don't want to pay $150 bucks for a new buckle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I may be wrong, but the safety belt should be fixed at no cost to you at any Ford dealership, regardless of how old the vehicle is, since it is a safety issue and a requirement that all vehicles have properly working safety belts (seat belts)

I have never heard of that, but it is worth a shot. I'll call them Tuesday.

Wouldn't hurt to wrap a towel around the buckle and try some spray lube with the straw.

Somehow managed to lose a dime in my buckle once. What a PITA that was to remove. :banghead:

That's how I am doing it now. I thought about spraying some WD-40 into the buckle also. I know a tech at the Lincoln dealer right up the street for me that said to call and have them run the VIN to see if there is any open recalls and see if they could fix it under some sort of warranty.

Update: I pried the button out of the buckle to see if I could find anything inside of it. I went to an auto parts recycle place and got a new buckle to put in, sale color and everything. I took the old one apart and I think the culprit was the little black screw in the pic. I was able to put it all back together so it works now, but since the housing is all destroyed, it's getting tossed.

D320DC2B-2EB9-4DD2-8CB7-ED655518B894_zpsmxh3qfbs.jpg

Back