• Register Today It's free!

Seat Heat

PMA

Reaction score
City, State
Parry Sound, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer ST
Hi, Looking for someone who can help with info on the front seat heat on my 2018 Explorer Sport.

Heated and cooled leather seats.

The seat heat on both sides does not work as I expected it to. Using the highest setting for both seats, the top section of the back gets fairly hot. The lower section of the back is cold. On the bottom cushion, the section closest to the back is warm and the outside section is cold.

My 2015 Explorer XLT had great seat heat (but it was not a heat /cool seat)

I took it into the closest Ford dealer (small dealer with only 4 bays) today and they checked it out and said there were no error codes and it was working fine.

I don't think this seems normal to me.

Can anyone else advise how well the seat heating works?

Thanks

Paul

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, Looking for someone who can help with info on the front seat heat on my 2018 Explorer Sport.

Heated and cooled leather seats.

The seat heat on both sides does not work as I expected it to. Using the highest setting for both seats, the top section of the back gets fairly hot. The lower section of the back is cold. On the bottom cushion, the section closest to the back is warm and the outside section is cold.

My 2015 Explorer XLT had great seat heat (but it was not a heat /cool seat)

I took it into the closest Ford dealer (small dealer with only 4 bays) today and they checked it out and said there were no error codes and it was working fine.

I don't think this seems normal to me.

Can anyone else advise how well the seat heating works?

Thanks

Paul

Your 15 had heating pads so they worked a lot better then the newer style heated and cooled. The heated and cooled seats work off a TEDS unit. Think of the coolers that you plug in and they can heat or cool just by switching the plug. They have a little fan that blows across the TEDS unit and supplies the heat or cooling. I am pretty sure the 18 has only ventilated seats not actively cooled seat like the older ones. If this is the case like on the F150s you should have a heat pad for heat and the fan blows across that for ventilated mode.

I know with a program called Forscan you can test the modules to see if they are working correctly. I would suggest heading to the dealer and asking to test out another Explorer to see if it acts the same. If it does you have your answer of they all do that. If not then you just point out this one works like this and mine does not.

Your 15 had heating pads so they worked a lot better then the newer style heated and cooled. The heated and cooled seats work off a TEDS unit. Think of the coolers that you plug in and they can heat or cool just by switching the plug. They have a little fan that blows across the TEDS unit and supplies the heat or cooling. I am pretty sure the 18 has only ventilated seats not actively cooled seat like the older ones. If this is the case like on the F150s you should have a heat pad for heat and the fan blows across that for ventilated mode.

I know with a program called Forscan you can test the modules to see if they are working correctly. I would suggest heading to the dealer and asking to test out another Explorer to see if it acts the same. If it does you have your answer of they all do that. If not then you just point out this one works like this and mine does not.

Thanks,

Welcome to the Forum Paul.:wave:
I don't know about the 2018 but on my 2017 3 bars is too much. I usually have it set at 1 bar. The last time I used remote start the back felt warn and the back end of the cushion as well while the front felt cool. Not sure if that changed once I hit the start button.

Peter

Sorry, I hit the enter button too quickly.

The dealership is so small they only have 1 new Explorer and it does not have heated/cooled seats. I will check with the dealership I bought it at and see what they say.

They did advise they checked for error codes so they may have checked Forscan.

Thanks again!

Sorry, I hit the enter button too quickly.

The dealership is so small they only have 1 new Explorer and it does not have heated/cooled seats. I will check with the dealership I bought it at and see what they say.

They did advise they checked for error codes so they may have checked Forscan.

Thanks again!
The dealer doesn't use Forscan. They use a tool called IDS which is similar. I wouldn't think any codes would be shown for this issue.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Paul.:wave:
I don't know about the 2018 but on my 2017 3 bars is too much. I usually have it set at 1 bar. The last time I used remote start the back felt warn and the back end of the cushion as well while the front felt cool. Not sure if that changed once I hit the start button.

Peter
Thanks Peter, 3 bars seems hot after a while, but it is only 1/4 of the seat.

More digging to do.........

Paul

Does this happen when you use remote start? I have noticed that when I remote start, and the seats are automatically started, only the back of the seats get hot. The whole bottom or what seems like the whole bottom seat portion never gets hot. It's so weird. Even the actual fan noise is more quiet than normal.

However, if I go ahead and turn it off and than back on manually to 3 bars, the fan noise becomes noticably louder and than the whole seat, bottom and back gets hot really quick. Have you noticed this? Peter kinda sounds like what you were describing. It's like the fans/heater isn't kicking on correctly when remote started. Only works right if they're manually turned on.

Does this happen when you use remote start? I have noticed that when I remote start, and the seats are automatically started, only the back of the seats get hot. The whole bottom or what seems like the whole bottom seat portion never gets hot. It's so weird. Even the actual fan noise is more quiet than normal.

However, if I go ahead and turn it off and than back on manually to 3 bars, the fan noise becomes noticably louder and than the whole seat, bottom and back gets hot really quick. Have you noticed this? Peter kinda sounds like what you were describing. It's like the fans/heater isn't kicking on correctly when remote started. Only works right if they're manually turned on.

I don't use remote start very often as I park in a garage. 90 % of the time the seat heat is turned on manually. Only the top of the seat back is "hot".

Regards,

I don't use remote start very often as I park in a garage. 90 % of the time the seat heat is turned on manually. Only the top of the seat back is "hot".

Regards,

In my ride into work this morning I appreciated the same thing. The lumbar portion of the seats was not hot. But right above it, it was very hot .maybe that section is not heated? As odd as that would be .

The heated seats will not come on full until you push the start button or turn the ignition ON with the keyed version. You shouldn't have to turn the vehicle OFF/ON to get that. On mine, after remote start, all I have to do is get in and press the start button and everything comes to life. That is the way the system has always worked.

Peter

The heated seats will not come on full until you push the start button or turn the ignition ON with the keyed version. You shouldn't have to turn the vehicle OFF/ON to get that. On mine, after remote start, all I have to do is get in and press the start button and everything comes to life. That is the way the system has always worked.

Peter

That is exactly how mine works as well. Or appears to work. But it's not. Despite all 3 lights lit up for the seat after I hit the brake and start button, only the back of the seat starts getting hot. The actual seat portion doesn't get hot .It's not until I manually turn the heated seats off and than back on do they start to heat up.

Why would Ford have only seat back get warm on remote start? It makes ZERO sense.

Why would Ford have only seat back get warm on remote start? It makes ZERO sense.
Are you are referring to not having the passenger seat included or both front and 2nd row seats as well?

Peter

I only start feeling the lower back heat up at the highest setting.

In my ride into work this morning I appreciated the same thing. The lumbar portion of the seats was not hot. But right above it, it was very hot .maybe that section is not heated? As odd as that would be .

Thanks, any heat on the seat ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, any heat on the seat ?

You know this morning, it was so cold I just quickly restarted the seat warmers when I got in because I wanted it hot asap. But I will test tonight when going home. But so far if never heats the seat portion up when using remote start. Only the back part warms up.

Back