• Register Today It's free!

Seat heater installation

g8rboy

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago Burbs
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 4WD XLT
Hi all- I'm new to the forum. My wife got jealous because my RX-8 has seat heaters, and our '02 XLT doesn't... so with winter just around the corner I just bought some Rostra seat heaters for her front seats. I was wondering/hoping if anybody had any tips on removing the leather seat covers, and how the install went? Do the seats have to come out of the truck, or does that just make it easier?

Thanks much!!

-Sean :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone? :D

i have pulled the seat cover off a '91 before. It wasn't too bad. Don't really know how much different it would be for your '02

The biggest concern is getting all the little rings that are used for automotive upholstrey. I ended up cutting them and then using small zip ties in their place when i put the cover back on.

I would say that you most likely will need to take the seats out to do this project. Again it may be different on your '02 but i can pull the seats from my '91 in about 15 min. its just 4 bolts in the floor and then one torx bolt for the seat belt in the trans hump.

Thanks for the feedback... I haven't had a chance to poke my head under there yet today (waiting for my wife to get back). Sounds like it might be similar to the hog rings used to hold the leather on my old Miata - I ended up using tie wraps as well to replace them.

Are there any resources on this forum or online for torque #'s, like for the bolts holding the seats in? I'd like to play it safe with safety stuff like that...

Thanks again... I used to have a '98 XLT V8 (Lord I miss that 302), and I had all the repair manuals for it. I haven't started modding this one yet so I haven't bought any books for it yet... but I will soon.

-Sean

I did the heated seats for my 2001. It has leather seats. My opinion is to take the seats out. it is only a few bolts for each and it is not difficult at all. I took the entire bottom cover off. the hog ties are difficult at first, but once you get a hang for them they come off easy. I used two needle nose plyers. You open the hog ties up a bit and then just roll them off. I replaced them with zip ties because it is not recommended to have the hog ties around you heating pad... will cause a short. The back cover I rolled up to the head rest. that was all I needed. Putting them back on was a bit tricky until I figured it out. The plastic clip that holds the back and front of the back part does not come together unless you push up. They will interlock by themselves. this is hard to explain and I wish I took pictures. All I can say is that when the two black pieces over lap push up. The plastic pieces are the full width of the back. it is located where the hinges are. Hope this helps.

2001_x said:
I did the heated seats for my 2001. It has leather seats. My opinion is to take the seats out. it is only a few bolts for each and it is not difficult at all. I took the entire bottom cover off. the hog ties are difficult at first, but once you get a hang for them they come off easy. I used two needle nose plyers. You open the hog ties up a bit and then just roll them off. I replaced them with zip ties because it is not recommended to have the hog ties around you heating pad... will cause a short. The back cover I rolled up to the head rest. that was all I needed. Putting them back on was a bit tricky until I figured it out. The plastic clip that holds the back and front of the back part does not come together unless you push up. They will interlock by themselves. this is hard to explain and I wish I took pictures. All I can say is that when the two black pieces over lap push up. The plastic pieces are the full width of the back. it is located where the hinges are. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info... this helps a lot. After looking at the passenger seat tonight I know what you're talking about now, with the interlocking clip that holds the front and back together. I was wondering how they went back together... it looked like I could use a screwdriver to get it apart fairly easily.

I'll hopefully tackle this in the next few days... I'll take some pics and document in case others want to do this.

Hey g8rboy, I know this might be too late but you might find it interesting. I remember seeing some pictures of someone adding the seat heaters. Searched the archives and found the following link. This guy did it to a Jeep Wrangler, but process is probably similar. Has some photos of the process at the bottom of the page. Good Luck
Jeep Seat Heater Install

SCAR said:
Hey g8rboy, I know this might be too late but you might find it interesting. I remember seeing some pictures of someone adding the seat heaters. Searched the archives and found the following link. This guy did it to a Jeep Wrangler, but process is probably similar. Has some photos of the process at the bottom of the page. Good Luck
Jeep Seat Heater Install

Great find! That's the same kit I bought. It's not too late at all- I haven't torn into it yet... hopefully on Friday. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Back