• Register Today It's free!

Seat Problem

flyhigh5574

Reaction score
City, State
Minot AFB, ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Navajo
I have a 91 exp and today I broke the adjustment handle on the side of the drivers seat right off. I have been having problems with adjusting the back of the seat, feels like the teeth are worn down because it slipped sometimes. My question is, are seats pretty much interchangeable between 91-00 exps. If I go to a junkyard and pick up some seats, will the go in easily or will I have to make any modifications? Also, the seat that I have now has that annoying air chamber adjustment that does nothing but leak now. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good news and Bad news

The good: explorer seats are pretty interchangable.

The Bad: Unfortunately for you and your '91 the interchangability runs from '92-'01 on the front seats. The backs should swap for the same years with your '91. You would need to modify newer seat tracks and/or mounting points or possibly re-use your old tracks on the newer seats.

Not so on the interchangability. I bought 2 seats from a 98 in the junkyard and had to use my old seat frames. Also, the old lever will have to be bent almost streight because of the way the seats mount on the old frame. Alsoooooo the seatbelt buckle bolts to the side of the seat rail differently on the 98 vice the 91. Now my buckle slides back and forth, probably not a good thing.

Josh Not so on the interchangability. I bought 2 seats from a 98 in the junkyard and had to use my old seat frames. Also, the old lever will have to be bent almost streight because of the way the seats mount on the old frame. Alsoooooo the seatbelt buckle bolts to the side of the seat rail differently on the 98 vice the 91. Now my buckle slides back and forth, probably not a good thing

My information was based on what has been commonly stated in these forums.

do you have any pics of what you had to modify?

No. I just know from what happend to me. The 98 frames were bent different and would not line up with the 91 holes. Believe me if I could have made them work I would have. The drivers seat was electric and they both have lumbar support. I got them for 63 bucks. I like the newer seats because they are more comfortable than the older ones.

Back