• Register Today It's free!

Seat Recliner Bolt ?’s

nailhead_sled

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto,Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLS
Just curious to hear some feedback and results from those of you who have had your Driver’s Seat Recliner Bolt replaced under the recall.
Did the replacement firm up your seat? Did it remedy the problem of the seat back reclining as soon as any weight is applied?

I am asking as earlier today while accelerating from a stop sign, I suddenly found myself near horizontal, admiring the headliner.
I’m not a small guy (6’6, 300lbs) so I am not sure if the issue is related to a broken bolt or due to the extra burrito I had at lunch.

I have called one of the local dealer’s and made an appointment to have the recall work completed, but don’t want to waste my time if this is a ‘fat guy in a little seat’ issue rather than an el cheapo hardware problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I noticed no differance when I got the bolt swap.
But then again I am all of 5'7" 180 lbs.

My friend works at a ford dealership and replaced my seat bolts after he installed new brakes. We compared the new bolts to the ones that were already there and the only difference was one bolt was shorter than the original bolt.

I had the seatbolt recall done, and afterward it seemed like the seat was slightly tighter. If the bolt is worn or bent, perhaps that could make the seat recline. It's my understanding that the original bolt material was too soft, and could break in a collision or when under stress (such as ingesting extra burritos). :D

Chances are good the new bolt will fix it, and it dosn't take long. I was in and out in about 30 minutes.

I hear ya on the buritto Im a big guy , when I had that problem it was def not the bolt but after 129k the seat frame gave out where it hangs off the track in the back=(got it welded much better then before.

Without at least a partial tear down it’s hard to determine whether or not the bolt is at fault.
The lever is still functional (albeit very loose), with the lever pulled the seat back will recline backwards and somewhat lock, however it will not articulate any further forward than the upright position (pass side seat back will swing well past the centerline and angle towards the dash). Also there seems to be no ‘spring’ to the seat back when compared to pulling the lever on the passenger side.

Worst-case scenario the recall doesn’t fix it and I hunt the junk yard for some power, leather units :thumbsup:

I have that problem with my seat too, right now there is a board pushing it upright. :(

ok just by hearing that it doesnt go past the upright spot I am willing to bet its the seat frame because mine was EXACTLY the same way

Back