Seat Replacement

pingj

Reaction score
City, State
SE Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
Hi all,

I have a '98 Explorer XLT with 244,000 miles on it. The drivers seat like many of yours is wearing out. I have replaced the power track once already with NOS but the cloth seat and the bottom foam cushion are not long for this world.

I have searched and searched trying to find replacement foam but have been unable and there are none in stock with Ford. I have found the seat covers NOS on ebay and if I'm lucky will have a new set this weekend.

So here is my question after reading some posts about interior upgrades.

Can I install a replacement seat from a different year range?

Will the bolt patterns match or will I need to drill new holes and uses big washers?

Can you bolt just the seat onto the track and not have to worry about how they mount to the floor?

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any '95-01 Explorer seats will bolt right in. I installed power seats from '97 or '98 Explorers in both my Sport Tracs.

Any '91-01 Explorer seats and even Aerostar seats should bolt to your tracks. There are variations of shapes/styles, but the spacing for the 4 holes where the actual seat bolts to the track are identical, at least for non-power seats. I assume the bolt pattern is the same for power seats.

As for the foam cushion, go to a salvage yard and look for Explorers with the same style seats as yours. Check the cushion for the passenger's seat. The passenger seats get used a lot less and don't wear out like the driver's side. The foam is identical to the driver's side and can be swapped side to side. I did this several times in my '94 Ex.

With 244,000 miles, the wires and springs that support the cushion are probably stretched and worn. Again, get some from the passenger seat and swap them to your driver's seat. I probably wouldn't have swapped cushions on my '94 as often had I figured out sooner that the springs were shot. I suggest you buy a used passenger seat and swap everything you need to your driver's seat. I once bought just the bottom section, or maybe just the foam cushion, because that's all I needed and didn't want to dispose of the rest of the seat. Almost every part of the seats except the seatback latch hardware will swap side to side.

Seats sell for $30-40 each at the salvage yard I go to.

In the process of buying a van for my wife. Made the comment these seats would sure be nice in the explorer. Was told keep your *@@!!! off the seats in my new van. Well, used van. LOL, Arne.

FL sucks, yards here want damn near what a brand new seat cost, and looked into getting my leather seat reupholstered and everyone wants over 1k for 1 fricken seat.

Try The Seat Shop - www.theseatshop.com. Right near me in Allen , TX. They do excellent work at a reasonable price. Do a search here for them. They have done a few seats for the Ex owners here, including me. I had my driver's seat bottom completely re-foamed and covered with factory leather for $300. Looks like brand new.:thumbsup:

Any '95-01 Explorer seats will bolt right in. I installed power seats from '97 or '98 Explorers in both my Sport Tracs.

Any '91-01 Explorer seats and even Aerostar seats should bolt to your tracks. There are variations of shapes/styles, but the spacing for the 4 holes where the actual seat bolts to the track are identical, at least for non-power seats. I assume the bolt pattern is the same for power seats.

As for the foam cushion, go to a salvage yard and look for Explorers with the same style seats as yours. Check the cushion for the passenger's seat. The passenger seats get used a lot less and don't wear out like the driver's side. The foam is identical to the driver's side and can be swapped side to side. I did this several times in my '94 Ex.

With 244,000 miles, the wires and springs that support the cushion are probably stretched and worn. Again, get some from the passenger seat and swap them to your driver's seat. I probably wouldn't have swapped cushions on my '94 as often had I figured out sooner that the springs were shot. I suggest you buy a used passenger seat and swap everything you need to your driver's seat. I once bought just the bottom section, or maybe just the foam cushion, because that's all I needed and didn't want to dispose of the rest of the seat. Almost every part of the seats except the seatback latch hardware will swap side to side.

Seats sell for $30-40 each at the salvage yard I go to.

Thanks, I was wondering about the passenger seats. I thought the foam might be the same but it is hard to tell while the seats are in the vehicle. Great advice on the springs. We have a couple of pick-a-part scrap yards near me and they have specials frequently for different things. There are times when you can get an entire engine for $300, or a tranny for $150.

The only problem is the cars are generally picked over pretty bad, so you have to be patient go back frequently.

Big +1 on theseatshop.com. Great guys to deal with and quality products.

I took the seat bottoms from our 99 Sport to an upholstery shop & they fixed both of them for about $150.00.

The driver's seat on my '96 is dying.
I took it to pieces over the weekend and whilst the springs were ok, the thin spring steel wires that span front to back were buggered . . and getting second hand stuff here is a nightmare, there just isnt that many Explorers here.
Guess an upholsterer is the answer . .

Try The Seat Shop - www.theseatshop.com. Right near me in Allen , TX. They do excellent work at a reasonable price. Do a search here for them. They have done a few seats for the Ex owners here, including me. I had my driver's seat bottom completely re-foamed and covered with factory leather for $300. Looks like brand new.:thumbsup:

I checked their prices - that would write my car off!

No I haven't. I will now though.
Thanks man.

FL sucks, yards here want damn near what a brand new seat cost, and looked into getting my leather seat reupholstered and everyone wants over 1k for 1 fricken seat.

I'm not sure where you're located, but there's a shop here in Boca Raton that replaced the bad pieces on my passenger seat for $100.

If you're interested I'll check to see the correct name and get the number for you.

MT

No I haven't. I will now though.
Thanks man.

I wonder what the seats are like in that one a Liverpool?
My Limited, Prairie Tan leather seats are buggered.

I'm not sure where you're located, but there's a shop here in Boca Raton that replaced the bad pieces on my passenger seat for $100.

If you're interested I'll check to see the correct name and get the number for you.

MT
oh heck yeah, let me know.

Back