Seat Swap 2002 to 2003 power problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seat Swap 2002 to 2003 power problem

armygrunt2010

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer
I'm looking for help on wiring power seats in a 2002 and 2003 Ford Explorer.

I have both the 2002 and 2003 Explorers. Turns out my 2002 Explorer is running better but has the cloth seats. And the 2003 has the leather seats. Both are power seats. So I switched the seats today but discovered that Ford decided to use different adapters.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to best wire these up? are there wiring diagrams for the 2002 and 2003 that would all me to do a little cutting to fix this issue?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford doesn't use a jumper for the seats, so you'd have to run wire to the center fuse box and plug into the appropriate spots. That's assuming it's wired from the battery fuse box to that point.
Seats are hot at all times. It may just be easier to run a new wire to the battery and fuse it.

If it was me, I'd go to a wrecking yard and get (or take from the 03) the wiring and just transfer it. Not exactly hard work, but a little time consuming getting all the wiring out without breaking connectors.

Thanks Number4... so this isn't as easy as removing the male/female adapters off one seat and connecting them up on the other seat? I was hoping I'd just have to pull the plastic off and put it back in... but your saying the harness on the 02 and 03 are totally different?

Thanks
S

The harness only exists in the vehicle that was wired so. None of that harness will exist in the other vehicle.
The spot where it connects at the CJB is empty on the 02.
Question is, whether or not the CJB is pre wired from the BJB.
If it is, then you just need to relocate the harness from the 03. But, this will require un-pinning it from the connector at the CJB. Doable, just not easy.

I will be doing this as soon as I find an 06-10 Ex/Mounty with black leather front seats that are heated etc.

In this pic, you'll see that the seat connector harness has no intermediate connectors. Know by Ford as jumpers. This means the harness runs straight back to the Central Junction Box.
Where Jumpers exist, it's literally plug and play.

Seat3_zpsf5dd657c.jpg

Seat2_zpsb31b91a9.jpg

Seat1_zps0ad697ba.jpg

So in both my 02 and 03 the seats are wired... what surprised me after I had switched the seats was that the connectors were different. The 02 and 03 had the same number of connectors 2x on the drivers seat and 1 on the passenger seat... but the connectors were different sizes. Same male/female ends as far as on the seat and on the wiring harness just different... thus why I was wondering if I could just remove the gray connector off of each vehicle and swap them... assuming the power and control wires are still the same number...

Might hit up BigRondo, I think he has wiring diagrams, at least for the 02. Start up another thread requesting wiring diagrams from someone with an 03.

I have a Ford electrical book, buts it's 04. Been a very valuable purchase.

Back