adamsbro2

Bryan
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Twin falls, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
Ok so in order for the family to fit in my 93 I need one extra seat. My options as I see it are 1. Add a third seat in the cargo area. (Which would work but takes up alot of cargo room for supplies). Or 2. Replace the front seat and center console with one from a ranger that has the fold down/up console that doubles as a third seat in front. (This is the route I would like to try for but I havent been able to measure seat widths and check mounting similarities. If anyone has seen this done or looked into it before and knows whether it can or cant be done fairly easily your input would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Should be fairly easy to accomplish since some explorer came with the same front bench as the Ranger.

First gens came with an option of a bench seat or the two buckets. i would try and find one of the original bench seats from an X. In the Explorer - Ranger Interior Accessories forums you can find a bunch of info on it. I have seen alot of stuff around the internet about taking explorer seats and swapping them into a ranger. but when it comes to vise versa it seems to get a lot harder to find info.

First gens came with an option of a bench seat or the two buckets. i would try and find one of the original bench seats from an X. In the Explorer - Ranger Interior Accessories forums you can find a bunch of info on it. I have seen alot of stuff around the internet about taking explorer seats and swapping them into a ranger. but when it comes to vise versa it seems to get a lot harder to find info.

I didnt know the option was even there never seen one....any idea if the ranger seats mount the same and if they are the same width.

I would guess that the ones from 89-93 would fit very easily. I'm pretty sure it's simple as unbolting yours and swapping in the Ranger's might have to swap the seat tracks though.

Ok just did a quick search. Here's the thread's I looked through.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304584

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180977

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201724

From reading these I think what you're gonna be looking for is a 60/40 split bench from a Ranger (couldn't find any year specific but I think a 89-93 would be best). You're also gonna have to modify the seat tracks that are on your current seats to bolt to the Ranger bench.

Doesn't seem like it's be that hard. If you can find a Explorer with a bench in the front that'd be the easiest way to go though.

Thanks bud.......I wasnt trying to get someone to do the research for me lol just asking if anyone knew off the top of their head but I deeply appreciate it

No problem. I'm on break from college and my job just shut down for the winter so I've got plenty of free time at the moment. Plus I was kind of curious and I could have swore I saw pics of someone who did it so I looked since it was still in mind after I changed my oil today.

Back