second amp help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

second amp help

mike650

Reaction score
im hooking up a second amp to power the 2 12's i have now that are being ran by the factory mach stereo amp in my 98 explorer.

i bought a rca convertor to run both amps to the subs at the same time. i hooked everything up the way it is supposed to be but the secnd amp is not working. all it does is come on and then the protect light comes on and it wont play music.

the factory one plays music but the second one isnt working. need some advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so you're using 2 amps to power 2 subs? hooked up together?

that may lead to some problems... especially if they're not the same.

im trying to run 2 amps together( small factory amp into larger 800 watt amp) to power the same 2 subs.

i want to put more power to the subs i have and the factory amp is not enough. i also want to keep the factory head unit.

Can you illustrate what you are trying to do? Perhaps some amp specifics? What kind of subs as well? You need to disconnect the factory sub amp from those 12's or you're going to have a negative result. Get some pics or more specific details about what you have going on. You'll be able to keep the stock radio whether you have the sub amp hooked up or not.

im trying to run 2 amps together( small factory amp into larger 800 watt amp) to power the same 2 subs.

You are running Mach amp wattage into the 800 watt amp...?

The wattage of each will not add together to make more than the 800 watts...

From what i get, you're doing this wrong, you cant run 2 different amps to 2 subs, that will make then play different.

Just stick with the aftermarket amp you get.

From what i get, you're doing this wrong, you cant run 2 different amps to 2 subs, that will make then play different.

Just stick with the aftermarket amp you get.

You can run 2 amps to 2 different subs just not the stock one with the others! LOL I want to see how it's hooked up!

You can run 2 amps to 2 different subs just not the stock one with the others! LOL I want to see how it's hooked up!

You say it better than me, that was what i was trying to say.

For general info if several amps are gonna be hock to different subs is better to have same brand amp that way subs will get the same signal.

You say it better than me, that was what i was trying to say.

For general info if several amps are gonna be hock to different subs is better to have same brand amp that way subs will get the same signal.

LOL! Yeah I knew that was what you were trying to say! Just wanted to make sure later on down the road someone tells him you can have 1 amp per sub he'll think we were lieing!:D

And as you stated it is imperative that both amps be the same as well as the subs in question be the same. By that I don't mean rockford subs with rockford amps. I guess it's not necessary but for sounds sake I'd want the stuff to be the same not a mtx sub with rockford sub...

Back