Second gen lean codes and fuel pump malfunction | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Second gen lean codes and fuel pump malfunction

ICXC

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999, Ford Explorer XLT
So I have this '99 Explorer with 170k miles on it and it showed lean codes (p0171 and p0174) on scanner, had some jerkiness while driving and sudden losses of power. I've tried many things without any success (checking for vacuum leaks with smoke, cleaning MAF, checking EGR, IVAC and EVAP, also PCV valve and the sparks, pouring couple of cans of Seafoam in to the system.) Everything seemed to function as suppose to. Finally I took intake manifold apart to see in which condition are the the upper and lower gaskets, all seemed to be in ok condition except for one thing. The two nozzles on the intake manifold to which the lines from the EVAP canister were connected were completely clogged with dark residue. I guess it was burnt particles from EGR. I've cleaned the manifold and the nozzles as well as the lines from the EVAP with the carb cleaner and some Seafoam and my car seemed to be fixed. Up untill it just died on me not far from home two days later. I've tried to start it up - 'No way in hell, mr. Al' said Explorer. So I checked the fuel line by disconnecting the line (prior the filter) from the fuel filter and priming the ignition... No fuel pressure. I deducted that the fault must be in the fuel sending unit.

SO:
1. I bought a new fuel pump for 30$ (it was for V6 BMW so I guess they are all more or less the same)
2. Took off the backseats
3. Cut access hatch to the fuel sending unit and took out the unit (somewhat easy)
4. Installed new pump (easy)
5. Made from scratch and installed new cover for the hatch (somewhat easy)
6. Put everything back together
7. Turned the key

AND...Sweet Mother of God, Her holy child Jesus F Christ and Father Christmas it worked. Started like a dream, no codes, no losses of power, no nothing except for the sweat roar of V6. All in all it took me some 10 hours on a stretch of 3-4 days to do everything of the above. So good luck with the check list and ask away if you have any questions. I am no certified mechanic but I do like to tinker. Also I've made couple of videos on how to cut an access hatch to the fuel sending unit on the 2nd gen Explorer

Back