• Register Today It's free!

Second row legroom, 2015 vs 2016

matt88

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 XLT/03 GrandCherokee
Can anyone comment on the difference between the two? I've heard there is increased legroom but can't seem to find any info or video reviews to back this up. The local dealer never seems to have a 2015 and a 2016 at the same time. I guess 2015's are becoming scarce on the lots.

Background:
I'm considering the 2016 XLT with either bench or captains chairs. We're going to be fitting 1-2 infant/rear-facing seats. I haven't found many people discussing rear-facing car seats with the 2016 models yet.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just bought the 2016 Explorer Limited last night and put a rear-facing convertible type carseat (Evenflo Symphany DLX) in without a problem. Front passenger seat was moved up some. I haven't had a passenger in that seat yet to tell me its too far up though.

so this is where I was a month ago when we bought ours

we have one child and she's still in a rear facing infant seat (chico fit 30 something or another)

and it DOES NOT fit in a 2015 - bench or bucked 2nd row - with either of us in the front row. pax or driver - wifey (5'5") or me (6'3") in either seat. just not possible.

However I have to plug - it is very possbile in the Flex - if you can do it - do yourself a favor and get the flex. it's got more room than the explorer and costs a touch less.

that said - 2016 redesign. comes with different seats and I guess a slightly different floor pan - because there is plenty of room in the 16. Enough that if I raise the PAX seat some - I can slide back enough, with the child seat behind me - my knees don't touch the dash and I have room to move my feet.

Something that is IMPOSSIBLE in the 2015 and believe me I tried and tried for that extra 3500 off.

Wouldn't it have been a better cost savings to get a seat that fit the car you wanted than getting a car to fit your seat? Or would most seats of had this problem in the 2015?

Thanks for the info guys.

Napalm: Did that 2016 have 2nd row bench or bucket?

Also, not sure if everyone is aware, but the second row passenger side seat can be pushed back using the bar under it. If you have bucket seats, both can be pushed back.

While I can’t comment for the 2015-2016, I can say that my 2014 Sport w/ Buckets didn’t have much of an issue fitting a front and rear facing “convertible” car seat(same seat). I do have the rear facing one on the passenger side and had to move the front seat up slightly, but it’s not uncomfortable for my wife (5’6”). I wasn’t able to put the rear facing seat on the driver side and still be comfortable for the driver(me). Also, as stated, the rear buckets can be moved back, which was required to fit the car seats in while keeping the front seat at a reasonable location.

My recommendation is to bring car seats with you when checking out the vehicles to see how they fit.

Sorry, I forgot to add that my second row is bucket seats, not bench. I'm 5'3" and can easily sit in front passenger seat. Probably anyone up to 5"8" could be comfortable.

I did try a few other rear-facing and convertible style car seats that friends of ours had.

as it turns out though - either the newer child seats are just larger - or the bases hold them up higher - but they all take up significant room. now the moment we trade the seat around - it's a non-event.

but there is more leg room in the 2016 than in the 2016 if nothing else for the front row .

and yes we have the 2nd row buckets - and as someone mentioned both the buckets and the bench seats do move a little. and in all my tests I made sure they were fully far back

Back