BatDoctor

Reaction score
City, State
Capitol City, NEVADA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer PIU
Callsign
KC7ARS
As I have not received my 13 yet, I caught wind that the PIU second row seats do NOT fold down for more cargo room in the back...is this true? If so does anyone have a picture of how far they go that they would post for me? I have not been lucky enough to source a wrecked CIV model unit to procure parts out of near Northern Nevada yet. Missed one in Sacramento last week with a charcoal interior too.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, they do fold down. I'll snap a photo this week for you.

Yes they fold down, but the back rest sits directly on the butt rest part. So you have the full thickness of the back rest sticking up above the third row / cargo area. Check this out: youtu.be/mEa4lMqJF3o?t=266 (Go to 266 seconds)

I see it appears it lacks the release brackets and framework to quickly fold anyhow, however looks like pulling the two bolts will allow it to fold forward and then have to re attach it after use. Thanks for the link and the answer.

I know I have seen this somewhere, but.... With the 2015 Utility I have the 2nd row seats fold down, but do not flip forward. Is there an extra bracket or something bolting them from folding farther, and if so where are they located?

I know I have seen this somewhere, but.... With the 2015 Utility I have the 2nd row seats fold down, but do not flip forward. Is there an extra bracket or something bolting them from folding farther, and if so where are they located?
I found this thread using the 'Search' feature and merged yours with it.
I haven't seen the PIU setup but I'm guessing if they don't tumble forward that they are bolted in place as mentioned in a prior post. The regular Explorer 2nd row seats are latched to anchors in the floor allowing the latch to be released for the tumble position since the front anchor points are hinged. You can see it in the picture.

Peter

PA130139_1.JPG

Thanks for the help. Yes they do not seem to "tumble" (that I can figure) but they do fold. I was trying to get better access to remove the heavy metal channel used to route wires to the rear. Only a couple of active wires in mine anyway and those I am hopping to route under the flooring.

Thanks for the help. Yes they do not seem to "tumble" (that I can figure) but they do fold. I was trying to get better access to remove the heavy metal channel used to route wires to the rear. Only a couple of active wires in mine anyway and those I am hopping to route under the flooring.

One upfitter told me just to remove the two bolts (one on each side of the rear seat). If you do they may function normally. I have not attempted this however they are likely fixed in place as part of the 75 mph rear collision certification. Regarding the plate; The upfitter's guide says do not remove the center console plate. Not sure why but there is a control module below it that should not be disturbed. It is a relatively heavy plate so there must be a good reason for it. Factories don't spend money they do not have to. The plate in my PIU does not extend all the way back to the rear seat and it complicated some wire installation. Count your blessings.

One upfitter told me just to remove the two bolts (one on each side of the rear seat). If you do they may function normally. I have not attempted this however they are likely fixed in place as part of the 75 mph rear collision certification. Regarding the plate; The upfitter's guide says do not remove the center console plate. Not sure why but there is a control module below it that should not be disturbed. It is a relatively heavy plate so there must be a good reason for it. Factories don't spend money they do not have to. The plate in my PIU does not extend all the way back to the rear seat and it complicated some wire installation. Count your blessings.
Lots of discussion about the safety and rigidity factors in the thread this post is in; Removing 3rd Row Seats & Installing Cross Brace

Peter

Back