• Register Today It's free!

Second row seat tilt?

mcear

Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Hi, I own a 2002 4door XLT. The question is about the second row seat. I put a front facing child seat to the middle of the back seat. My Explorer has third row seat so the middle one can fold down. see this Edmund picture http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/...Ford/100002014/2002.ford.explorer.25172-E.jpg
However the seat is a little bit tilt back too much so when I finish install the car seat, it is not level. So when my kid sit in it, he is not sit up-strait, rather lay on his back. Is there a way I can change the seat so it tilt forward a little bit? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a '04, when my girl was little we mounted her seat on the side. There wasn't a rear tether point for the center seat, but there was one for both of the side seats. Not sure of an adjustment for center.

When my 3 yr old was in the infant seat, and facing rear, the slope of the rear seat would make her sit up straight almost. There are usually horizontal lines or a level gauge on a car seat that should give you the range in which it should be installed.

For me, the slope was too much.
I made a wedge out of plywood such that it made a level surface for the seat to sit on. Worked perfectly. Still very secure once attached properly.

Ive seen this type thing for sale in retail too.

Kind a like this

421104_11deg_wedge_298a.jpg

I was thinking about the wedge also. Do you remember where you saw it in retail? Thanks!

I was thinking about the wedge also. Do you remember where you saw it in retail? Thanks!

I dont remember specifically, but it could have been Baby USA or Burlington coat factory... im leaning towards Burlington..

Back