• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Second row seat tilt?

mcear

Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Hi, I own a 2002 4door XLT. The question is about the second row seat. I put a front facing child seat to the middle of the back seat. My Explorer has third row seat so the middle one can fold down. see this Edmund picture http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/...Ford/100002014/2002.ford.explorer.25172-E.jpg
However the seat is a little bit tilt back too much so when I finish install the car seat, it is not level. So when my kid sit in it, he is not sit up-strait, rather lay on his back. Is there a way I can change the seat so it tilt forward a little bit? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

jrford

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'10 Sport Trac
i have a '04, when my girl was little we mounted her seat on the side. There wasn't a rear tether point for the center seat, but there was one for both of the side seats. Not sure of an adjustment for center.

Curtis

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT 4x4
When my 3 yr old was in the infant seat, and facing rear, the slope of the rear seat would make her sit up straight almost. There are usually horizontal lines or a level gauge on a car seat that should give you the range in which it should be installed.

For me, the slope was too much.
I made a wedge out of plywood such that it made a level surface for the seat to sit on. Worked perfectly. Still very secure once attached properly.

Ive seen this type thing for sale in retail too.

Kind a like this

421104_11deg_wedge_298a.jpg

mcear

Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
I was thinking about the wedge also. Do you remember where you saw it in retail? Thanks!

Curtis

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT 4x4
I was thinking about the wedge also. Do you remember where you saw it in retail? Thanks!

I dont remember specifically, but it could have been Baby USA or Burlington coat factory... im leaning towards Burlington..