Second row seats issue

ou81

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Today I tried to put the second row seats into a flat position ( _ ) so I could use the full cargo space. The third row seats went down nicely but I could only get the second row seats to go down to about 45 degrees ( / ). Now I can't get the second row seats back to normal passenger mode ( \ ). They're stuck at 45 degrees forward ( / ).

I tried using the lever on the outside base of the seats as well as the bar thingy underneath the seat but the seat will neither lay flat ( _ ) or return to its regular passenger configuration ( \ ).

I spent 15 minutes trying to figure it out. I'm frustrated because we have a road trip planned for early Sunday (tomorrow) .

Does anyone know how to make them flat ( _ )? Does anyone know how to put them back upright ( \ )?

This is my third 2020 ST since April!

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In order to get my 2nd row seats to lay flat I had to move the front seats forward so the second row could slide all the way forward and then the second row laid flat. You may have to push the release and fiddle with moving the 2nd row seats a bit but they will lay flat, hope this helps. Just out of curiosity what do you mean 3rd ST since April?

Thanks! I will try that. I solved the problem of not being able to get the second row seats back to normal ( \ ). It turns out that the aftermarket netting that I installed to try and keep the dog in the back and which connected to the head rests and a tab on the bottom rear of each seat was too tense. Once I removed the netting carabiner (clip) from the bottoms of the seats, all was well. My bad!

As far as it being my third ST since April, my first ST had to be sent back to the factory since it seems that a wiring harness needed replacing and the dealer didn't want to do it since it meant displacing the engine to get at the harness. So they leant me another ST with the same specs as mine (except it was red). I received a replacement ST two weeks ago and so far, so good!

Thanks! I will try that. I solved the problem of not being able to get the second row seats back to normal ( \ ). It turns out that the aftermarket netting that I installed to try and keep the dog in the back and which connected to the head rests and a tab on the bottom rear of each seat was too tense. Once I removed the netting carabiner (clip) from the bottoms of the seats, all was well. My bad!

As far as it being my third ST since April, my first ST had to be sent back to the factory since it seems that a wiring harness needed replacing and the dealer didn't want to do it since it meant displacing the engine to get at the harness. So they leant me another ST with the same specs as mine (except it was red). I received a replacement ST two weeks ago and so far, so good!
Don't forget about the power button on top of the seats to release them forward, I think I bought the same netting to keep the dog in the rear as you. seems to work ok for now.

Bump on this. I have the same issue with just the passenger side seat. I can fold the seat to the 45 degree angle (/) but it will not go flat (_). The driver side works without any problem. I have tries sliding the seat forward and then flat without success.

Bump on this. I have the same issue with just the passenger side seat. I can fold the seat to the 45 degree angle (/) but it will not go flat (_). The driver side works without any problem. I have tries sliding the seat forward and then flat without success.
Is the vehicle still within the warranty limits? If it is, I suggest having the dealer check it out. Have you checked to ensure that there is nothing binding or preventing it from moving all the way down?

Peter

Back