• Register Today It's free!

Second set of rear shocks

chuhay

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello,

I have a 2000 Mountaineer 4WD with a 4 Liter and my shocks are in desperate need of replacement. I took a peak at the rear shocks the other day and noticed a second set which appear to be used for 'anti-roll' purposes. I'm having a hard time finding the replacement shocks for this on autopart websites. Should I be looking for something other than the 'rear shock?'

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They also call it a stabilizer, the only one I can find is a Monroe Sensatrac.

I definitely notice when it's gone bad, and when I replace it.

A quick search of Advance finds : Monroe part number SC2958 : Axle Damper

Side-Action Shock

I went and picked up a repair manual, and they do list some as having a 'side action shock' as MayJay mentioned. I will call the dealer later today and let you all know what it costs. The stabalizer that's listed on Monroe's website is for the steering (limit vibration, loss of control when hitting unexpected bumps, in turns, etc.).

Thanks for your help!

Side-action shock

Called the dealer and they called it a 'lateral shock.' Cost was 80 bucks and they had to order it.

I'll take a closer look at the mounting brackets and see if a standard shock mount up alright. If that looks ok, I'll check with shock manufactures and look up more detail on shock dimensions in their product line (I'm sure one would measure up).

. . . . . just a note from here= i have just gotten all 4 shock's replaced for here with a set of Rancho's RSX's and just realized & seen the "Rear_Dampener Shock" located from a mount on the "pinion_nose" of the rear-end_housing to the side of the frame........ this shock i did notice was beginning to show the ol' = seal leak = of an oil residue track flowing on the side of the bottom half of the shock tube...:eek: ....so i have replaced with the one i have found showing in the link below.......:p: .......

............. click here to go and see.....

.......{ Monroe had one for it's replacement, but yes it was like only half the price and looked like one of those front steering stabilizer type......click here to see............needless to say, i did NOT choose the Monroe.....:rolleyes: ......}

. . . . hopefully this would have helped out for you, as well as for other's out there that might need to find out & replace as well.......{...otherwise, just my 2cent's worth of help mentioning..... :D .....}

mr. Charles

Does replacing it really make much of a differance?

Does replacing it really make much of a differance?

You'll get about a 50/50 split of Yes/no.

I have one in the Yes! column.

I noticed it most on a washboard corner I take every day, when I replaced it, the ass-end didn't swing nearly as far.

So it's the same part number as the steering damper.

Interesting. That makes it a little easier to locate. I'm suprised monroe didn't list the rear stabalizer application of the shock.

It seems like it would definately make a difference having it there with the high center of gravity and typical SUV rolling behavior.

I replaced all four of my shocks with Monroe Sensa-tracs (spent about 180) and I am very happy. I was starting to get the 'saggy rear' and the extra springs on the new shocks leveled me off.

Of course now it sounds like my front lower ball joint is bad, so I'll have to take care of that now. I also have the SOHC timing chain rattle that will eventually need to be taken care of too.

Back