Secondary fuse panel for radios? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Secondary fuse panel for radios?

I have a Cobra 25 CB, a Uniden scanner and a department radio in my '98, all hack job wired to a 12v splitter right now :rolleyes:. I'm working on cleaning up the install, and wanted to get your opinions on running a line off of the battery to a small, 30 amp fuse panel inside the cab and then powering the radios from that. I'd also thought about putting a switch inline before the secondary panel to turn all of the radios on or off at once.

Is there a reason I can't seem to find anyone else that has done something like this, or am I onto something here?

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
It's a good idea. I added a second fuse box under the hood for my accessories.

attachment.php

<

DustinV

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Would I still have to fuse the power wire close to the battery (since the panel will be inside the cab) or will the fuses on the panel be enough?

<

rizzjc

Scubajoe - Radio Mod
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Garner, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 F150
Callsign
N1LVN
I wouldn't think you'd need to fuse it before your panel, but I suppose it couldn't hurt. Your car's fuse panel isn't done that way though. And if you came make it all clean and neat like Rick's setup, all the better. ;)

<

DustinV

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Good deal! Thanks for the help guys: I'll try to get some pics posted in the install thread when it's done.

<

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
<

<