Secondary trans cooler installed

Limited Ex

Elite Lurker
Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited
Got around to getting my second transmission cooler installed today. This one is a PermaCool cooler, and boy does it make me regret getting the Summit Special cooler the first time:rolleyes: I don't know how many of you have experience with PermaCool, but WOW is all I can say. I HIGHLY recommend them to anyone who needs a cooler. Before with just my Summit cooler, my transmission temp was getting 180+ just driving around town. Today, in stop-n-go traffic too, my temp never once exceeded 165:D Only downfall is that now that I have two fans, my Ex sounds like an airplane when they are both on......

Was not paying attention when I ordered my cooler, and I got one with AN fittings. But thats okay, because it gave me the opportunity to use these sexy fittings:D
787100_1280-med.jpg

Shot of completed installation, you can see the Summit Special on the other side....
787100_1281-med.jpg

One more shot showing off those purty joints:eek: And I did remove the shroud or scoop, whatever you want to call it, that directed air towards the radiator.
787100_1282-med.jpg

This weekend will be the true test, I am heading to Tellico on Friday so it will be put through its paces. :cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking good. I bet the elect fans help a lot over just the engine fan.

Do are the fans manual or automatic?

That looks awesome man. Great job... I"ll have to remember that brand when I replace my tranny cooler.

The fans are manual. I had thought about putting a thermostat on them, but just figured a switch would do the same thing. And the way they make their coolers is pretty neat, check it out , and boy does it do its job!

I was thinking about picking one of these up because my 20s make my trans temp go up way faster than my stock wheels do. Looks like a solid unit.

any way you could email me or post it here all of your install instructions. i'm curious as to what model you used, what line you tapped into, etc....

thanks,
chad

Ask and ye shall receive!
Model and details are here and here is a pic of how the lines are routed. This picture goes along the assumption that you are sitting in front of your Explorer looking at the transmission lines....

Attachments

• transmission.jpg
    transmission.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 425

Did not get the chance to go to Tellico, but I can say that I am very happy with the cooler. Driving around town in stop-n-go traffic, the temp rarely exceeds 165. If it does hit 180, it takes NO time for it to get back down to 150:cool:

That looks just like a Napa cooler, I had one identical on my blazer. What did you pay for that one?

Total was $116.98, which was by far the cheapest that I found it. Summit wanted over $130 for the samething:eek:

I agree overkill is a good thing when coolin ghte tranny and ATF.

180 degrees is still low.
250 degrees is when you pull over, using conventional ATF, synthetic can go even higher.

Do you think you need dual coolers? I bet you could get away with just the one perma cool.

Also do you still have it routed through the radiator?
Is your gage in the pan or at the filter?

Do you still have A/C?

I might be able to get away with just the Perma Cool, but since I am not running the fluid through the radiator, I will stick with two. At least this way I know I will not have to worry about the temp getting too hot. The sender is in the filter, and I still have A/C.

I now have 31s instead of stock tires now and soon I will be putting on an S/C. I also do a lot of towing right now so I figured it might be a good idea to get a better tranny cooler until I can swap in a better transmission. The a4ld was rebuilt just last year. Anyways, I already have a stock cooler, but if I get a PermaCool, should I replace the stock cooler with the PermaCool...or install the Permacool in addition to the stock one?

That is really up to you. If you want the extra cooling power, then you could just mount the Perma Cool opposite the stock one, or if you did not feel like running any extra hose, then just replace the stock cooler. Either way, you will be fine, because the Perma Cool cooler is just awesome. But one pro to having the extra cooler is your fluid capacity will increase. Not sure by how much, but some :)

i too was thinking of adding another cooler right by the stock one to help with tranny life :D

Back