Secondary Transmission Filter Installed (Feedback) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Secondary Transmission Filter Installed (Feedback)

Hank

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Cape Coral, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 EB
Since I was up early on Saturday anyway........ Thanks Mike :) (Mike broke his truck the night before our run.)

I decided to install the seconday trans filter kit I bought from Summit a while back. The kit is nothing more than an external oil filter kit with some cooler hose and clamps thrown in. If you get it from Summit, look closely in the catalog as they have three to four kits that vary greatly in price. (Except that they are all exactly the same from the same manu.) Mine was about $29.00.

Installation was easy I mounted the filter under the pass front fender/behind the bumper. This gives easy access to the filter for changes. Although the kit says to install the filter between the trans and before the raidiator/cooler I decided to install mine between the radiator and the secondary cooler as these are connected by rubber hose. (no cutting of tubes required.)

There was a noticble improvement in shifting and trans performance within 75 miles. Shifting is smooth but very quick, no more slushing into gear.

The filter adds about an extra quart to the system so that is an added bonus. Just make sure you hook the kit up in the right direction as some filters come with an anti-siphon valve in them. Hook it up wrong and you will either get no flow or pop off a line. (or worse)

Bottom line, well worth every penny.

hg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Will do Al.

Just some more feedback. There has been a major improvement in trans performance since my first post.

Spoke to a trans guy and his two cents was that only large particals get caught in the stock trans filter as it is a screen and only particals that are in the pan make their way down to the magnet. Having a filter in line cleans the fluid as it passes by. I know my trans was neglected before I bought it, perhaps there was a bunch of crud build up over time.

Anyway, it has been well worth the $30.00..

Will this hook up universally to other vehicles? I would like to add one to my F-150. If so, can you post the link to the $29.00 one. Thanks!

Also, is there mounting hardware or does the filter just hang there?

this sounds great. I will be doing a full flush/replace with syn (Redline) in a couple 'o months, and this could very well be included in the game plan.
Would like to also know about mounting hardware
What kind of filter does it use (special or reg oil filter)
thnx.

Hank,
I would like to second Als' Post for pictures.
This really sounds like something that would be very benificial for a already weak transmission.

Hello,

It really is not anything fancy. Just a remote oil filter housing. The one from Summit was sold under the name Perma-Cool Remote Transmission Oil Filter. Has three holes for mounting. Uses a regular spin on oil filter.

You should be able to find them at any decent parts house. I got my first one from a VW Bug speed shop of all places...

The one I purchased from Summit is their item number SUM-G4980 for $28.69 Comes in a brown box from Perma-Cool

Three pages earlier in the catalog is Perma-Cool item number PRM-10677 The same thing except with a temp gauge, sending unit and a pretty box for 79.95

Two pages after is item BMM-80277. Same as the Summit kit but from B&M for 27.95 (Although photo does not show it coming with hoses....)

Go figure.............

Will post a photo later tonight... Note it is nothing fancy though..

hg

I ordered one

I called summit last night and one is in the mail I got the B&M kit for a dollar less as I can get the hose for free. I will mount mine on tues. as I will be gone all weekend. How often will you change your filter on that? I will use a Mobel 1 filter so would you wait longer for that?

im gonna do this. So, exactly how did you do it again?
like i have the aux. tranny cooler, in front of the radiator, its stock. and i see the 2 lines under it, that are near the front bumper. how do i knowwhats in and out?

and a oil filter is ok to use?

Yes, it just uses an oil filter. I found it easiest to come off the hard lines where they turn into hoses.

On mine the line on the drivers side was the pressure line, I went from there to the in side of the filter unit and from the filter back into the aux trans cooler.

Instructions in the kit are very detailed. Just follow them and make sure you hook up the lines (in/out) on the filter assembly correctly.

Just for safety and my own parinoia, as filters are cheap, I am going to change the filter after the first 1000 miles. (As this is the first time a filter has been on the old tranny) After that I will replace it every 10k when I drop the pan and replace the screen/fluid.

My personal pref is the purolator pure-one filter. I'm not a big fan of synthetics as I change all my fluids very frequently. (Trans 10k, Motor Oil 3k) No debates please.

E-mail me if you run into installation questions.

hg

Good idea, Gimp.

Another thought might be to use two clamps on each end, We do this on all marine fittings.

Thanks Gimp,

Yes it is horizontal, the view is from the front of the truck looking up from the ground.

Good tip on the clamps. One thing I for got to mention was that I wrapped the lines in thick plastic spiral wrap (from Boat US) anywhere they came close to or in contact with the body. You can't see it in the photo as those sections of hose are free air.

hg

Just checking in to see if anyone else has got theirs installed yet? How do you like it? I am still very pleased with the improvement. Shifts have greatly improved.

Mine has been on for about 1000 miles. Just for safety I changed the filter today. Figuring all the major crud will already be trapped in the filter. I saved the old filter and am going to cut it open over the weekend to see if/what it caught.

Best regards.
hg

Hello Gimp,

No, I forgot about cutting it open. It is still on my bench though. I'll see if I can crack into it over the next couple of days.

All still seems to be well with mine, as said below I changed the first filter at 1000 miles just for safety. Still shifting smooth as silk...

I have been on a couple of runs lots of water and sand without any problems. Keep us posted on how yours goes.

hg

Hello Gimp,

Sorry I have been a lazy ******* and still have not made it into the garage to cut the filter. Due to the holidays and a baby on the way I can't even make it to the bench with all the new crap piled in the garage...

What you saw makes sense if you installed it after your tranny flush. The filter will catch anything that floats around and does not get caught by the magnet in the pan. (The stuff that really causes damage) So it is both good and expected that you did not see a filter full of particles. This is also why you did not see a big improvement in performance as you already had fresh clean fluid in the tranny. What you should see now is that tranny performance should remain more level between flushes/changes. I am about 3k from the normal drop pan/change screen service. (every 10k) I will be very curious how much/little is on the magnet.

I too use the pure-one filter and really like it. Since filters are cheap I have been changing the tranny filter every 3k with the oil & oil filter. Also gets me a fresh quart or so in the tranny every 3k.

Keep me posted on how it goes. I still promise to cut my original filter and post back.

All the best.
hg

----------------------------------------------------------------------
6:40 am update:

Ok, I braved the garage and cracked open the filter. Like yours this filter was right after a fluid/screen change. There was some stuff floating in the bottom of the can but not much was initially visible. Not like when you drop the pan. That is until I started running my finger between the pleats. Then I really started picking up really tiny particles. Next I dragged a small magnet between the same pleats and picked up even more real fine stuff. All that stuff got past the screen and was trapped in the filter, success!

For kicks I am going to try to find a tranny pan magnet and see if it will stick to the back of the filter. I remember Fram used to make a filter with a magnet years ago but have not seen it in years...

Well worth it.. I feel even better now..

hg

What a great Idear ank

This sounds like something I HAVE to do. As I am a new owner of a 95 XLT I believe that I will do this mod. ASAP. I am curious about the part # PRM-10677. How important would you say that knowing the temperature of the tranny is? Or is this someting for the people that just have to have the gizmos?

What all did you need to install the filter?

I will begin the research on my own now and keep ya'll posted on my progress. I figure if I can do this anyone can and should...:D

Gimp, Just wanted to make sure you got the update on my post above

Best regards.
hg

6:40 am update:

Ok, I braved the garage and cracked open the filter. Like yours this filter was right after a fluid/screen change. There was some stuff floating in the bottom of the can but not much was initially visible. Not like when you drop the pan. That is until I started running my finger between the pleats. Then I really started picking up really tiny particles. Next I dragged a small magnet between the same pleats and picked up even more real fine stuff. All that stuff got past the screen and was trapped in the filter, success!

For kicks I am going to try to find a tranny pan magnet and see if it will stick to the back of the filter. I remember Fram used to make a filter with a magnet years ago but have not seen it in years...

Well worth it.. I feel even better now..

hg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very sharp and small snips. To avoid shaving contamination from a hack saw.

However there was some blood contamination.....

Back