Secondary Transmission Filter Installed (Feedback) | Page 24 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Secondary Transmission Filter Installed (Feedback)

I think i found it, complete kit
Perma-Cool 10677 - Perma-Cool Deluxe Automatic Transmission Filter Kits
prm-10677_w.jpg

Then just buy a better gauge?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Then just buy a better gauge?

... with sending unit.. But that will work. I was able to piece together my parts cheaper than a kit, but sometimes its nice to get everything at once..

~Mark

yeah ill just buy the kit for now, with the crappy gauge, then later down the road when i got more money get my self a digital gauge (with sender)

lol this way wife cant ***** at me if i lost one of the fittings that i had.. haha kit comes with it. thank you!

While doing some research the other day (OK, surfing...) I came across this: Racor transmission filter kit.

While, in principle they are the same thing, there is one significant difference. A WIX oil filter will filter down to 20 microns, and the Racor filter filters down to 4.7 microns.

So the question is, is 20 micron filtration sufficient to save a transmission?

The Racor filter and system costs a little more than the Permacool one, and the filters cost aobut $25.00 compared to $5.00 for a WIX oil filter.

And no, the Racor filter will not fit on the Permacool unit (different thread size/pitch.)

So the question is, is 20 micron filtration sufficient to save a transmission?
Scott, I believe it is. Most of the debris that a remote spin-on
filter catches will be clutch lining that's been sluffed off. That's
fairly large particles that are lightweight and 'in solution' with
the ATF, so to speak. It's also the stuff that causes the gray
patina on the bottom of the pan that you can wipe off with
your finger.

Keeping the fluid clean will probably help the solenoids more than
anything, in these electrically controlled transmissions. From
pictures of the pans that I've seen (using remote filters), the filters
seem to work because the pans are literally spotless.....!

ordered my kit (SUM-G4980) from summit last night about 11pm, in transit to be delivered today. gotta love that. it also helps that summit is only 40-45 minutes away from me :)

anyway, will update when installed.

got it installed last night. very straight forward process. i installed it b4 the factory cooler (rubber hoses) just need to find "the spot" for mounting permanently. until then its on the inside wheel well mounted to the bottom of the frame not on the side like i been seeing. i want to find a better spot tho.

i think i am going to mount it next to the hard lines near the bottom of the radiator (pass side) then trim my black plastic cover that bolts up under there so it is hidden and has a good air flow.

anyway, thanks for the thread/info:salute:

I FINALLY got around to putting one on the Escape. Used a hydraulic filter head obtained locally ($12) and an FL400s filter. This filter has the same threads/gasket as the FL1a filter, it is just slimmer. there isn't a HUGE amount of room under the Escape, so I chose the smaller filter.
I used this filter head:
http://www.princessauto.com/hydraul...ousings/8076085-in-line-filter-head-3/8-ports

Here's the Wix version of what I used:
http://wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=51516

And if you need an even smaller filter, this would work:
http://wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=51269

I got mine mounted under the engine area on the frame. It may have fit there because of the body lift, but I didn't want it in the fender.

filter-1.jpg

filter-2.jpg

filter-3.jpg

Anyone has the kit for the 3d gen 2002-2005 with V8 4.6L Engine, just to know the summit kit reference and flow direction of the fluid?.

Thanks

JorgeA
AKA: Col

anyone done this on 4.0 ohv?

Everyone in this thread that is running a 1991-1994 is running the 4.0 ohv. The motor iteself really has very little bearing on the transmission filter. It does affect "where" you can fit it but so does the year of the vehicle.

~Mark

Could the cooler off a sohc be installed on a OHV, I don't see why not but I wanted to clarify.

Just a question about this,

im going to be adding a second stock tranny cooler on (i had one from one of my parts explorers, im just going to put it inline)

im also going to add the remote filter

im just wondering if i should go Dual or just a single? its only like 15 more bucks for the dual setup.

also, is it possible to mount the filters in any direction, or does it have to be filter down?

Just a question about this,

im going to be adding a second stock tranny cooler on (i had one from one of my parts explorers, im just going to put it inline)

im also going to add the remote filter

im just wondering if i should go Dual or just a single? its only like 15 more bucks for the dual setup.

also, is it possible to mount the filters in any direction, or does it have to be filter down?

You could mount the filter in any direction. Most people mount them right-side up, or horizontal. Mounting it upside-down will make for a messy filter change, but it'll function otherwise.

A dual filter setup would probably be overkill, as it normally takes longer than a year for the single filter to require replacement.

Some one has the summit reference number with the correct fittings for the 5r55w or Exp. 2004 v8 4.6L??..

Thanks a lot!!..

JorgeA

Anyone who has installed the additional oil remote filter for tranny 5R55W or v8 4.6L 2004 Explorer has the reference number at Summit??... I want the one without any gauge... thanks

JorgeA

Post number 7 in this thread has the part numbers. It doesn't matter which automatic transmission you have for a remote filter.

Thanks Kriegen....

Col.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have orderd SUM-G4980 for my 4R70W transmission. I have already the auxiliar cooler factory installed. I assume the oil goes from the tranny to the main radiator, then to the auxiliary one, then back to the tranny. Am I right?

Where is the best location for filter - I was thinking before both coolers, on the incomming from the transmision, where the oil is warmer, therfore more fluid - to minimize the pressure loss on filter. Is that correct?

Back