Secondary Transmission Filter Installed (Feedback) | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Secondary Transmission Filter Installed (Feedback)

Where is the best location for filter - I was thinking before both coolers, on the incomming from the transmision, where the oil is warmer, therfore more fluid - to minimize the pressure loss on filter. Is that correct?

Yes, that is correct. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think that finally will be between the radiator and auxiliarry cooler since there are rubber hoses already.... Lazy, I know :)

how cool is yours?

I installed the perma-cool kit with an extra aux cooler on the driver side. After a pan filter change and system flush with amsoil ATF, I mounted it after the radiator cooler going to the new aux then the original aux then to the trans. I want to see if you guys have the same results. All hoses are hot to the filter, the filter is hot, hot to the new aux cooler then cool through the original aux to the return. I mean really cool almost cold. Typical? I didn't have another hand to help determine if there was no flow but when I took hoses off between the aux coolers there was ATF draining from them. The test drive worked great, smooth shifting, no leaks. I am probably just paranoid but wanted to be sure that it would be that cool.
Thanks
KB

Guys.... I just installed the permacool oil tranny kit in my Explorer 2004 v8 4.6L.... before I installed I inspected everything... the Ex has only one big tranny cooler in front of the engine water cooler... with two inlets on the left side (pass side) in inferior or lower part...so I turn on the engine and wait some time.. then the hot line is the lower line and the cool line is the upper line, so I proceeded to cut the cooler line and attached the line comming from the cooler panel to the IN outlet on the filter bracket.. then the OUT outlet connected to the line going to the tranny....

The question is if this set up is correct??.... I think the cooler line is the return to the tranny.. so I attached the kit on that line.. Am I right??

Thanks....

JorgeA
AKA: Col

I did add today the secondary filter. My truck has a second cooler for the transmission oil. I did check the flow direction and the sense was: transmission - main cooler (in the driver side compartment) - auxiliary cooler (passenger side) - transmission. I attached the filter after the secondary cooler - it was easier and the temperature is high enough as it is.
I just tie it temporary. One of the ports was weeping just a little bit, so I have applied a little bit of blue RTV on it.
On the bottom I did add half of the magnet from an old PC hard drive - it is a strong sucker, maybe will and catch some metal particles?
I am planning to run it for a few hundred miles till it cleans the oil and then take down the filter. I will open then the filter to check for junk. If clean, move the contraption on another car (I have an older Mercury Sable).
arrows.png

P1020325.png

P1020341.png

Auxillary tranny filter really helps!!!

I JUST INSTALLED THE AUXILLARY TRANNY FILTER AND COOLER AS MANY OF YOU HAVE...AND FOLLOWED THE RECOMMENDED 100 MILE FIRST FILTER CHANGE. ITS NOW BEEN 2000 MILES LATER AND I HAVE EXPERIENCED THE SAME OUTSTANDING RESULTS ie MORE PRECISE SHIFTING AND JUST BETTER OVERALL TRANSMISSION FUNCTION. I WISH I WOULD HAVE READ THE THREAD WHEN I FIRST REPLACED THE TRANNY 100K AGO!!

SOnic67- I had the same idea! I lined the bottom of my trans pan w/ the same magnets! When you change the filter, maybe you could cut into it to see if it grabbed any particles?

Great Idea! Cant wait til I get mine!

I think there are a few issues that determine how well an external trans filter work. If you are running a Sonnax/Superior/Transgo modded VB (ESPECIALLY with the Superior Thermostat Bypass), they all have mods that increase flow/line pressure. With the Superior bypass the increased flow is full time, not just when the fluid is hot.
If you are running a stock vlave body, I tthink it may be less likely that you will see any major increases; unless you have a heavy amount of particulates floating around.

I just finished this mod on my 99 Mounty. It is in line in between the cooler in the radiator and the aux cooler. I mounted the gauge in a dual a-pillar pod along with a voltage gauge. Picked up the gauges from www.glowshiftdirect.com, The blue digital series. Here's a few pics of the filter install.
This first view is right below the grill on drivers side.
DSCF1079.jpg

Next is from underneath and last is from the front in the vent in the bumper.
DSCF1077.jpg

DSCF1078.jpg

Got the filter mount from JEGS, it fits Ford type filters.

I just finished this mod on my 99 Mounty. It is in line in between the cooler in the radiator and the aux cooler. I mounted the gauge in a dual a-pillar pod along with a voltage gauge. Picked up the gauges from www.glowshiftdirect.com, The blue digital series. Here's a few pics of the filter install.
This first view is right below the grill on drivers side.
DSCF1079.jpg

Next is from underneath and last is from the front in the vent in the bumper.
DSCF1077.jpg

DSCF1078.jpg

Got the filter mount from JEGS, it fits Ford type filters.

Nice Job... clean and very good location.. just a question.. is it not to close to the lower aron bar that sowed on the picture?, how can you change the filter?...

I'm so stoked, I started this thread years ago and it's up to 25 pages! Wish I still had my Explorer... Dumb move selling it.

Kind of funny as I'm putting this filter setup on my Astro Van this weekend. There is not a lot of space so I might have to go with the Magnefine inline filter.

No I removed the bumper and test fit everything first. I do have to cut 1 tie wrap to change the filter but it spins right off either by hand or with a cup filter wrench.

Hey Col,

I see what you're saying. I didn't see what you were getting at before. The pic is deceiving, there is actually more room under the filter than it looks like in this picture. I looked at the pics in the post again and it does look pretty tight, but there is enough room under it to remove it.

Pictures are always good. Thanks for the compliment. I'll have to post pics of the gauges. I forgot to get them when I took the others.

I finally got some pics of the gauges. The switch above the trans temp is so I can use 1 gauge for both trans and coolant temps.(Thanks to Aldive R.I.P.) Pulled that part from his thread.

DSCF1098.jpg

I'm so stoked, I started this thread years ago and it's up to 25 pages! Wish I still had my Explorer... Dumb move selling it.

Kind of funny as I'm putting this filter setup on my Astro Van this weekend. There is not a lot of space so I might have to go with the Magnefine inline filter.

Just finished reading this thread, great job. It appears that a secondary transmission filter should be standard on all vehicles.

My interpretation is the unit from Summit Racing is the consensus choice, but many choose another vendor for the gauges.

I plan to add this mod when I change the AT fluid and internal filter.

Btw, it appears that only PayPal is the excepted means to join.

"To pay for your subscription, please click the order button next to your preferred payment method and follow the instructions on the following page.
Subscription: Elite Explorer
Duration: 1 Year *
Cost: US$20.00
Order Using PayPal
To pay for your subscription using PayPal click the button below and follow the onscreen instructions."

I guess I'll have to open a PayPal account to join.

I finally got some pics of the gauges. The switch above the trans temp is so I can use 1 gauge for both trans and coolant temps.(Thanks to Aldive R.I.P.) Pulled that part from his thread.

Just finished reading this thread tonight and finished reading Aldive's thread on 30 mpg quest thread. Al Franklin's passing was a great loss.

I missed Al's post concerning switch for trans/coolant temp. Would you repeat Aldive's advice or point me in the general direction, if not too much bother.

What secondary transmission filter setup did you use ? You stated earlier in the thread you used the "...gauges from www.glowshiftdirect.com, The blue digital series." They look great from your pictures.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could mail Rick a check or a money order too.

I appreciate that option, I did attempt to contact Rick Horwitz via the email link, but was not successful. If you would send me where to send the check via my email account or other means, as I would like to support all the good information provided on this website.

Back