Section525 - D44 2nd gen. leaves SAS | Page 29 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Section525 - D44 2nd gen. leaves SAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well since I have the axle in-hand finally... I guess I can start my thread.

I bought this axle about a month ago from a guy in OR and finally made it around to picking it up yesterday. I watched as he actually took the axle out from under the truck. It's pretty clean.

1983 Jeep Wagoneer LP D44

The plans:
Rubicon Express leaf springs (unless someone suggests otherwise)
4.88s
Detroit

Then SOA the rear, add a locker, and 5x4.5 to 6x5.5 adapters (I heard they make them). So far I am thinking about going 35/36s BFGs or IROKs.

So.... any suggestions?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 7,048
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 7,090
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 7,034

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I did a little more work on it yesterday. B2Dude came over for a minute and we figured out the best caster/pinion angle.

Then welded on the perches, torqued the balljoints and spindle nutz, put the TREs together (and found out I need two more jam nutz), etc etc.

Today I'll be getting a heim to hopefully fix my three-ujoint steering shaft issue, two more jam nutz so I can finish the steering, and a new master cylinder.

Then comes the shock mounts this week. :confused: Towers or hoops, I am not sure yet.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 796
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,407
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 789

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

towers

Well towers like what Jefe did - I guess they could be considered as "hoops" but they're not round. They're easier to build too - esp if you dont have a pipe bender (like me)

Ahh.. okay. By towers I meant F250 ones. But I'm receiving what you're giving now.

Ohh.. well that'd work too ;) Do you have your shocks yet? Cauz that'll dictate how high you mount the towers/hoops. I guess thats one downside to the F-250 towers- you can only move them up/down so much.
f250shock4.jpg

I'll do custom hoops like Jefe's. I already have a ton of metal so I might as well. I'll just mount them as high up as I can get them then measure for shocks. I haven't bought anything yet.. so I would like to get her done, get measurements, then order something in the next couple days. :cool:

Jefe's supports coilovers, thats why he has a engine cross bar on his hoops, you dont need so much since you are just picking up shocks :)

Well I noticed that all the ricer's have engine cages too. So if it will add 35 more HP I am all for it.

But yeah, I wasn't going to do the cross bar. Just square tube hoop. :cool: But one day I will go coilovers so I'd like to make them add-on-able. :p

I'm planing to just use the F-250 mounts, however I saw some really cool one on a old dodge in the boneyard. I heard the F-450 are really good too.

(giantmotorsports.com) has some pics of an engine cage they sell for 900.00. give you some ideas on how to build one.

The one piece horizontal top - thats an intersting concept - thanks for the pic Froader

I picked this up just now. It's going to solve my three-ujoint steering issues. It mounts in the firewall and saves the day.

Attachments

• steering.jpg
    steering.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 784

attachment.php

You may want to consider boxing your spring perches. Mine were welded to the tube and it ripped the dang tube... weld was fine. No problems since with the boxed perches.

Rick said:
Mine were welded to the tube and it ripped the dang tube... weld was fine.
Curious - you have any pic of the ripped tube Rick?

Well this turned out to be one of the cooler things I've done as a person. :p I can't believe how easy it was and that it worked. Weird. :D

So I pulled off the rubber boot from the firewall and traced it to make a new plate. I borrowed some 10 gauge from Josh S cause sextion's fab shop doesn't carry anything smaller than 3/8". :p

Using my bare hands, a chisel, and some sand paper, I cut the outline to make a beautiful new cover.

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 748
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 917
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 748

Status
Not open for further replies.