Section525 - D44 2nd gen. leaves SAS | Page 39 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Section525 - D44 2nd gen. leaves SAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well since I have the axle in-hand finally... I guess I can start my thread.

I bought this axle about a month ago from a guy in OR and finally made it around to picking it up yesterday. I watched as he actually took the axle out from under the truck. It's pretty clean.

1983 Jeep Wagoneer LP D44

The plans:
Rubicon Express leaf springs (unless someone suggests otherwise)
4.88s
Detroit

Then SOA the rear, add a locker, and 5x4.5 to 6x5.5 adapters (I heard they make them). So far I am thinking about going 35/36s BFGs or IROKs.

So.... any suggestions?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 7,047
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 7,089
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 7,033

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have some Jeep goo somewhere on the underside of my BII, does that count?

(I had to pull my neighbors lifted cherokee out of the snow and I got some plastic Jeep crap under my tire and scrapped on my undercarriage :)

Oh wait I dont want to join a Jeep club what am I thinking :confused:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

oh you know what i just though of..... section... you used to be ifs.... with cv shafts..i know someone that needs cv shafts to make his truck 4wd again.... would you happen to still have those and be willing to part with em?

Well I know everyone was tired of the driveway pics so I went to put some fuel in it and decided to take the digicam and find some dirt. :D

This is all I can offer as of now. :( I really need to disconnect the shocks and run it down to Bent and Twisted to I can measure for new ones. These Tom Davis specials are just sort of mock-ups. :p Other than that.. once I get some 4wd and lockers.. it should go better.

Attachments

• whore1.jpg
    whore1.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 640
  • whore2.jpg
    whore2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 642
  • whore3.jpg
    whore3.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 642
  • whore4.jpg
    whore4.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 639

Aric.. I already sold the CVs. :(

how does it ride? Flex looks good!

410Fortune said:
how does it ride? Flex looks good!

It rides pretty good. I take it on the highway now. So that's a plus. :p

I sorta get this body sway deal going on occasionally. So.. I don't know what the deal is. When I pull the axle out to get it rebuilt I am probably going to re-do my shackle hangers. They are not 100% parallel with the leafs. So if the spings compress.. the leafs sorta go away from each other (in theory anyways). So I dont know if that has something to do with it or not. Plus the driver's side is noticably lower. Meaning A) the JCW springs sucks, or B) the perches aren't quite happy together. Once again, I'll check that, and swap the leafs to opposite sides, when the axle comes out.

Nice work sir....

Picked up my 2 degree shims today and got on the RTI at the 4wd shop.

Don't mind the Swamp Thing tree. The ramp is chained to it so there wasn't much we could do.
whore5.jpg

whore6.jpg

whore7.jpg

I need bigger tires. This is as stuffed as a 35 will get. :( :p
whore8.jpg

...and how about an extended brakeline?? :eek:
whore9.jpg

Results:
It ramped exactly the same as Phil's BII and Gordon's Taco. So it's a three-way tie. :cool: So far.....

Need bumpstops too! :(

Check out the leaf:
whore10.jpg

hahahaha de-arched :)
Now RTI it with the shocks disconnected then you can measure for new ones...

are those perches welded on??? tack welded? dude run some beads on those suckers!

410Fortune said:
are those perches welded on??? tack welded? dude run some beads on those suckers!

They're welded man! :p When's Amber coming to the forum?!

Attachments

• welds.jpg
    welds.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 591

section525 said:
Need bumpstops too! :(

Check out the leaf:
Wow, I still use my stock bumpstop even with SOA, your leaves suck at flexing. :p Take out that overload spring. ;)

dont worry she'll be here, likely when work permits, shes only been at her job like 1 week....

Me gusta muchisimo! Nice work and an exceptionally clean Sploder.

Johnny, for the rear brake lines, get another passanger hose for the driver side, and then order a '96 F-150 4x4 Rear center brake line. then use hard lines to connect them. The 150 center hose is much longer. That is what I did, got alot more line now to flex ;)

Edit:
Napa Part #'s

Exp pass line UP-380528
F-150 Center Hose UP-380936

the ramp at my local 4x shop is chained to an identical tree with woodchips underneath, i thought it was the same one.

I cut 2" of each end of my overload springs and it seemed to help a little bit but the main reason I cut them was that they would swing out into my tire under heavy flexing. You might try that before anything else, it certainly can't hurt ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back