Section525 - D44 2nd gen. leaves SAS | Page 45 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Section525 - D44 2nd gen. leaves SAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well since I have the axle in-hand finally... I guess I can start my thread.

I bought this axle about a month ago from a guy in OR and finally made it around to picking it up yesterday. I watched as he actually took the axle out from under the truck. It's pretty clean.

1983 Jeep Wagoneer LP D44

The plans:
Rubicon Express leaf springs (unless someone suggests otherwise)
4.88s
Detroit

Then SOA the rear, add a locker, and 5x4.5 to 6x5.5 adapters (I heard they make them). So far I am thinking about going 35/36s BFGs or IROKs.

So.... any suggestions?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 7,042
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 7,085
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 7,028

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Subcribing to keep up with this Soap Opera

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Oh yeah. I got the open carrier I needed with the 3/4" shaft. :cool: So I am all set for getting the rear locker in.

Who knew I had such mad skillz??

Attachments

• shackle.jpg
    shackle.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 561

Wow that is looking nice :D

IZwack said:
Wow that is looking nice :D

You still have to run the pink cover! :p:

Here they are doooooone.

Attachments

• shackles.jpg
    shackles.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 561

section525 said:
You bet I will - there's no way around it. I'll have it on maybe sometime in the latter half of next week cauz I gotta put the aussie locker in at that time

FROADER said:
I'm seriously going to have Rick change your name to IZedit!!!
Hey who here is hating?
Cmon lets see a show of hands ... :p:

EDIT: btw who here wants some lumpia? :D

section525 said:

Here they are doooooone.

what thickness of steel is that? you might consider boxing them in for added strength

redranger4.0 said:
what thickness of steel is that? you might consider boxing them in for added strength

Yeah, I am thinking the same thing. They'll probably hold up fine.. but after installing them.. they look so wimpy. So I'm going to box them.. and if I'm still not happy I'll rebuild them out of something beefier.

On a related note.. I did something stupid. Again. While trying to install the inner axle seals I made some cool tool out of some tubing scraps I had in the garage. It fits the seal nice and allows for even tapping. Anyway, I went to find the tubing for the bushings on the shackle and for some reason I only had 5.9" of it left and I needed 6". Why? Because I used about 2" for the tool. What's the big deal you ask? Well, that DOM is the odd ball size stuff that was $19 a foot! ^%&@!#$! :fire:

Oh yeah. The truck is back on it's wheels. In the morning I am bolting up the new tranny x-member and building the driveshaft. Then it's off to the OHV park for testing and photos. :D

its late -- go to sleep guys, go to sleep
yawn.gif

redranger4.0 said:
I'd have to agree with that. Box it all the way down to the leaf spring, at least on one side.

IZwack said:
its late -- go to sleep guys, go to sleep
yawn.gif
Its late??

well now its early :D

Wow that tranny crossmember is sick! My front D-shaft is like 1/4" from my crossmember at most.

BTW I got a daily driver the other day, parts are being collected to go solid for my sheot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back