Section525 - D44 2nd gen. leaves SAS | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Section525 - D44 2nd gen. leaves SAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well since I have the axle in-hand finally... I guess I can start my thread.

I bought this axle about a month ago from a guy in OR and finally made it around to picking it up yesterday. I watched as he actually took the axle out from under the truck. It's pretty clean.

1983 Jeep Wagoneer LP D44

The plans:
Rubicon Express leaf springs (unless someone suggests otherwise)
4.88s
Detroit

Then SOA the rear, add a locker, and 5x4.5 to 6x5.5 adapters (I heard they make them). So far I am thinking about going 35/36s BFGs or IROKs.

So.... any suggestions?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 7,042
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 7,085
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 7,028

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looking good...hope you get it done quickley.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

section525 said:
Can you set up a vid cam to your laptop and have some program record at like 30 frames a minute?

Acually I think What I will do is Set up stic cam in the garage in a corner, and every once in awile record a little. that way I'll be able to have the same angle so I can fade through it. ;)

Stic-o said:
Acually I think What I will do is Set up stic cam in the garage in a corner, and every once in awile record a little. that way I'll be able to have the same angle so I can fade through it. ;)
That would work real well.

section, I love that pic of your dog. Looks like a happy eskimo. :D

FROADER said:
That would work real well.

section, I love that pic of your dog. Looks like a happy eskimo. :D
haha i was thinking the samne thing.

I have offically decided to order some parts this week. :D I'll be getting:

The knuckles and arms
knuckle_kit.jpg

Parts Mike High Steer kit

The 5 lug conversion junk
9f_1.JPG

Then all I'll really need to do is figure out gears/locker and steering. Oh, and wheels/tires. :) But at least the axle rebuild is in motion.

thems be shiny

I've never used a sand blasting cabinet, so I have a question. When you sand blast something, and the dirt comes off, how do you separate the dirt from the sand? Do you just keep emptying it out, and refilling it with new sand from time to time? Those parts came out pretty shiny from just sand blasting them, and not even using paint.

section525 said:
I have offically decided to order some parts this week. :D I'll be getting:

The knuckles and arms
knuckle_kit.jpg

Parts Mike High Steer kit

The 5 lug conversion junk
9f_1.JPG

Then all I'll really need to do is figure out gears/locker and steering. Oh, and wheels/tires. :) But at least the axle rebuild is in motion.

just get some junkyard flat tops. save your self the money. i got junkyard flat tops for 75. sent them to parts mike and get them milled and drilled with arms and studs, ball joints installed for a little over half that kits price. the knuckles add so much $$ to it.

and with junk yard knuckles you still have the stock tie rod mount incase you ever need it, for emergencies.

i was wondering, can i use the good ole grinder for getting the ramnents of the IFS off when i do my sas. Like section said, warpage is an issue and no way can i get my hands on a plasma.

We torched some of the crossmembers off B2Dude's SAS last weekend. It is very 'do-able'. Some of the issues we came across were that you can easily melt/catch things on fire (like wiring) or you can easily catch yourself on fire :D.

Phil had a lot of oil/grease on the driver's side from an old leaky steering box. It made it a ***** to do any welding/torching on that side. Things kept catching fire. So I am going to get mine good and de-greased before I start cutting. I'll probably end up using a plasma anyways, but it will definitely help with the welding as well.

section525 said:
We torched some of the crossmembers off B2Dude's SAS last weekend. It is very 'do-able'.
I need to do that. Mine hits on the rear of the x-member. Probably do it while I'm swapping motors.

[QUOTE='97 V8]i was wondering, can i use the good ole grinder for getting the ramnents of the IFS off when i do my sas. Like section said, warpage is an issue and no way can i get my hands on a plasma.[/QUOTE]
I used a 4.5" grinder with cutting discs on mine. It was a pain in some areas getting the grinder to fit, but it did work.

redranger4.0 said:
and with junk yard knuckles you still have the stock tie rod mount incase you ever need it, for emergencies.
I agree. The lack of arm on the partsmike knuckles scared me away from getting them.

BrooklynBay said:
I've never used a sand blasting cabinet, so I have a question. When you sand blast something, and the dirt comes off, how do you separate the dirt from the sand? Do you just keep emptying it out, and refilling it with new sand from time to time? Those parts came out pretty shiny from just sand blasting them, and not even using paint.

That cabinet probably doesn't use something like play sand. Normally the material you use is extremely fine stuff, smaller then sand and you just empty it into a bucket from the bottom and pour it through a strainer which picks up the heavy stuff. There's no way to get all the stuff seperated.

JoshC said:
That cabinet probably doesn't use something like play sand. Normally the material you use is extremely fine stuff, smaller then sand and you just empty it into a bucket from the bottom and pour it through a strainer which picks up the heavy stuff. There's no way to get all the stuff seperated.

depends on what sand you use. i used to work at a hardware store we had sandblasting sand in 100LB bags. both fine and coarse. the fine was very fine and the coarse was bigger then regular sand.

Jefe said:
I used a 4.5" grinder with cutting discs on mine. It was a pain in some areas getting the grinder to fit, but it did work.

I agree. The lack of arm on the partsmike knuckles scared me away from getting them.

i also cut my IFS off with only a sawzall grinder and cut off disks.

they are nice knuckles cause they are new, but way to much money and i like being able to use the stock tie rod which i still have in emergencies

I know that Home Depot sells sand bags for cement work. What is the difference between that sand, and the type that is used in one of these cabinets? Is the Home Depot sand too thick, and course?

Play sand is very high silica content, and is poisonous used as a blasting media.

I picked up some metal for my swap today. I nice 2x6 piece for the crossmember as well as some 3.5" square tubing for the spring hangers. The local 4WD shop wanted $20 a piece for them. So I made my own for $4 each. :cool:

I'll probably start the actual crossmember work tomorrow or Sunday.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,150
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,153
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,143
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,144

Sweet :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back