Section525 - D44 2nd gen. leaves SAS | Page 30 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Section525 - D44 2nd gen. leaves SAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well since I have the axle in-hand finally... I guess I can start my thread.

I bought this axle about a month ago from a guy in OR and finally made it around to picking it up yesterday. I watched as he actually took the axle out from under the truck. It's pretty clean.

1983 Jeep Wagoneer LP D44

The plans:
Rubicon Express leaf springs (unless someone suggests otherwise)
4.88s
Detroit

Then SOA the rear, add a locker, and 5x4.5 to 6x5.5 adapters (I heard they make them). So far I am thinking about going 35/36s BFGs or IROKs.

So.... any suggestions?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 7,027
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 7,071
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 7,016

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here it is in place. The factory 'dynamat' only needed a small incision to get the job done. It will leave only a small scar.

No more clunking around now. But I will need to either shave the input gear on the steering box, the ujoint, or both, as it's now binding a little bit. :confused:

Attachments

• 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 745
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 741
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 751

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

good work sir

whats the life expectancy on that new bushing do-mah-hickey thingy? Where did you get it and why did you choose it? (just curious, for people who might be looking to improve the factory setup a bit or relocate for headers and body lifts, ahem I might know one)

For engine cages check out Link Motorsports :) they build some sick stuff and use alot of plate (bling)
The cantilever from the main hoops to the shock on Pauls truck looks a bit iffy? Also no plates on the frame where the hoops bolt up?

hollt shat 410's a moderator.....but anyway looks good. Do you have a pic of were the steering shaft is binding?

jtsmith said:
I really like this thread, and want to watch. I'll try not to but in.

Do you have something you want to say? :p This project is 80% members here and 20% me. :D

section525 said:
Do you have something you want to say? :p This project is 80% members here and 20% me. :D

Yes! I love this so far!
I was excusing myself in advance for future stupid questions :D

Ahh.. okay. That's what this thread is all about. It's my D44 SAS + Chit Chat + Froader being Froader Thread.

Once this thing is done I'm going to compile all the.. *ahem* "technical" stuff into my SAS Registry thread so future people don't have to sift through 50 pages of bullchit. :D

So ask away. :)

Section you give yourself alot of credit! haha

410Fortune said:
whats the life expectancy on that new bushing do-mah-hickey thingy? Where did you get it and why did you choose it? (just curious, for people who might be looking to improve the factory setup a bit or relocate for headers and body lifts, ahem I might know one)

It's a $15.95 bearing I picked up from my local speed shop. Here is a tiny bit of info on it. It is actually made for exactly what I am using it for. So it should work out perfect.

...and PM me back! :D

Thats AlaskanJack - who I havent seen in a long time.

did you get the master cylinder section?

Yes sir. It's sitting on the bench in the garage waiting for my mechanic to get out there and pretend to know how to put it in.

FROADER said:
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
brownbag.gif

Can you substiute my truck into being done already? :D

section525 said:
Yes sir. It's sitting on the bench in the garage waiting for my mechanic to get out there and pretend to know how to put it in.
haha lmao

Did I mention how handy my new Harbor Freight self power bleeder kit is?
Also DONT forget to bench bleed and as Rick pointed out DONT USE A FULL STROKE on the new unit........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back