Section525 - D44 2nd gen. leaves SAS | Page 31 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Section525 - D44 2nd gen. leaves SAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well since I have the axle in-hand finally... I guess I can start my thread.

I bought this axle about a month ago from a guy in OR and finally made it around to picking it up yesterday. I watched as he actually took the axle out from under the truck. It's pretty clean.

1983 Jeep Wagoneer LP D44

The plans:
Rubicon Express leaf springs (unless someone suggests otherwise)
4.88s
Detroit

Then SOA the rear, add a locker, and 5x4.5 to 6x5.5 adapters (I heard they make them). So far I am thinking about going 35/36s BFGs or IROKs.

So.... any suggestions?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 7,019
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 7,064
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 7,010

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

410Fortune said:
Did I mention how handy my new Harbor Freight self power bleeder kit is?
Also DONT forget to bench bleed and as Rick pointed out DONT USE A FULL STROKE on the new unit........

No. But they're on sale in the email coupon deal I got today. Maybe you should do a master cylinder install write-up while I go pick one up?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

section525_i_paint_things_before_i_weld_them said:
Maybe you should do a master cylinder install write-up while I go pick one up?
Hey hey, that'd fit well in the Technician Corner forum.

okay:

1. bench bleed with supplied plastic fittings and screwdriver handle

2. install on brake booster

3. bleed brakes

see 3 easy steps!

Oh and dont try to put the pedal through the floor when bleeding, nice light strokes and about 5 of them at a time is all that is needed, OR get the HF power bleeder and suck the fluid out through the caliper....

Hell yes my Avatar is the SICKEST!!
You should sell these!

SkanlaxJMO said:
hollt shat 410's a moderator.....but anyway looks good. Do you have a pic of were the steering shaft is binding?

I took some metal off. It still needs a slight bit more, which I am comfortable doing. :p

Attachments

• bind.jpg
    bind.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 688

thread hi-jack, i want a kick ass avatar??

oh yea swap looks good...

What do you guys think about something like this??

Attachments

• hoops.jpg
    hoops.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 679

Maybe some triangulation?

Attachments

• hoops2.jpg
    hoops2.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 693

I think that looks good Section. As JTSmith suggested, maybe something on the other side (engine side) of the piece to "triangulate" it against the top of the chassis - just something small

jtsmith said:
And maybe a crossmember-tower brace going up and over engine to other shock tower?

edit

It may be too low to incorporate a engine crossmember. But maybe. I probably wouldn't need one since it's only supporting shocks.

So, would it be wise to make this fit a 2" wide shock mount?

section525 said:
So, would it be wise to make this fit a 2" wide shock mount?
It would be wise to make it fit whatever shock you have ;) But going a little wider doesnt hurt, you cal always put a spacer/washer if needed.

Thank you captain obvious. :p But I don't have the shocks I am going to run. Either Fox, BBCS, or Bilsteins.. something. I think the Fox's are 2". But I couldn't find specs on the BBCS's. But I can't imagine them being bigger than 2".

section525 said:
Thank you captain obvious. :p
LOL hax

Call up BBCS or whatever company u plan to run with!!!
But yeah 2" is a good bet. Right now, 1.5" comes to mind (after repositioning the rear shock)

I say just slap some F-150 shock towers on there and get it driving and flexing. You can always come back and build the proposed towers later. While this is all nice and blingin' it doesn't seem neccessary and unless it ties in an engine crossmember it doesn't seem like it's really an improvement. Unless of course I'm missing something which has happened before.

Con Seann3ry said:
While this is all nice and blingin' it doesn't seem neccessary and unless it ties in an engine crossmember it doesn't seem like it's really an improvement. Unless of course I'm missing something which has happened before.
He's got a lot of metal - plus the kid needs something to do :eek:

And he wants the bling :p

Stic-o said:
And he wants the bling :p
Your avatar is weird .. weirdo :p

first you get the bling, then you get the ladies...allthough all I'd think you'd have to do is show them that beefy crossmember with the custom label and they'd hope in the backseat

I would just make a hoop??? go over the steering box on this side..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back