Securicode (Keyless Entry Pad) Battery Drain | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Securicode (Keyless Entry Pad) Battery Drain

Gene Bowling

Reaction score
City, State
New Bern, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer LTD
I flat tow my car behind a motorhome. My towed(we say toad) uses an Air Force One supplemental brake system. Since its installation, the car battery will die every several days. I've had it to my dealer to find issue with battery drain and they claim it is the AF1. I spoke with AF1 and they tell me to remove 10 A fuse to the AF1 and there would be no battery drain(verified). I did that and battery drained anyway over a period of several days no driving activity. My keypad on the drivers door comes on and off every few seconds and I think this is the issue and has been brought to the attention of the dealer. I have another service appointment next week for another try. My question is "Does disconnecting then reconnecting the battery affect the keypad?".

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Should not.

The only thing it will do is clear your radio presets and erase all "Learned Functions" by your Engine Control Module"

In short you will get rotten gas mileage when you reconnect the battery until the computer "Learns" how you drive again.

Really a last ditch option....

I flat tow my car behind a motorhome. My towed(we say toad) uses an Air Force One supplemental brake system. Since its installation, the car battery will die every several days. I've had it to my dealer to find issue with battery drain and they claim it is the AF1. I spoke with AF1 and they tell me to remove 10 A fuse to the AF1 and there would be no battery drain(verified). I did that and battery drained anyway over a period of several days no driving activity. My keypad on the drivers door comes on and off every few seconds and I think this is the issue and has been brought to the attention of the dealer. I have another service appointment next week for another try. My question is "Does disconnecting then reconnecting the battery affect the keypad?".
Welcome to the Forum Gene.:wave:
I wonder if you have a short that is causing the Securicode keypad to come on randomly? Fuse #10 in the cabin fuse box is for the Securicode keypad but it is also for the foot activated liftgate. You could try pulling it and see if you still have the battery drain.

Peter

Should not.

The only thing it will do is clear your radio presets and erase all "Learned Functions" by your Engine Control Module"

In short you will get rotten gas mileage when you reconnect the battery until the computer "Learns" how you drive again.

Really a last ditch option....
How do I clear all?

Welcome to the Forum Gene.:wave:
I wonder if you have a short that is causing the Securicode keypad to come on randomly? Fuse #10 in the cabin fuse box is for the Securicode keypad but it is also for the foot activated liftgate. You could try pulling it and see if you still have the battery drain.

Peter
That’s what I thought to begin with. I tried to get to the inside fuse panel and it’s too diificult for me to access. I’ll let dealer check this week.

How do I clear all?
I'm not sure what you mean here Gene. Disconnecting the battery will likely result in many if not all your saved memory functions. There is nothing really for you to 'clear'. As for the transmission 'relearn', that is not even listed in the Manual any longer but I understand learning is still required for it and some other items. That is mentioned in your Manual. I've never really noticed much of a difference, if any, between getting a new vehicle and having had it a while except that mileage will increase slightly as the engine gets some miles on it. As for the fuse box location, I totally agree about the access part. There's no way I would attempt it myself either. At least not without another person standing by to extricate me from the vehicle.:)

Peter

Turns out problem was in fact a shorted keyless entry pad!

My 2017 Explorer started draining the battery dead for no apparent reason. After a few attempts at troubleshooting I discovered the keypad to unlock the door was powering up randomly. First I tried just pulling the fuse. Unfortunately it it the power for the rear hatch also. It was giving me a rear hatch open alarm and was keeping the interior lights on. The temporary fix was to remove the door panel and unplug the keypad. Good so far. I am continuing to monitor the battery and will update if the issue re-occurs.

Welcome to the Forum Brent. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one.
I actually had to look up to see where Thessalon was. I'm quite sure that you are the only member from there.;)

Peter

Back