• Register Today It's free!

securing my amp

sciguy007

Reaction score
City, State
Kent, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
my amp sits between my box and my rear seats and i was wondering what the best way to hold it down is. drill through the floor and bolt it down? or what? thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what "box" are you referring ot? I have mine screwed into the back of the back seat, if that helps. Its held it pretty good for about two years now!

im referring to my sub box, 2 12s. my amp is in my sig.

screw it on to the box..piggyback style...

i thought that was bad for the amp because the heat isnt dissipating properly?

I think as long as its got an escape... if you screw it to the box, it's still disapating on three sides, and you've gotta attach it to something...

i am sure piggybacking the amp is better for it than getting smashed into the back of the seats by the box....

the heat dissipation will be fine on top. that is the most effective way. the only major problem with that is the easy target for thieves. even if you have an alarm. they can break the rear window and take the amp, sub, and box at the same time. a nice neat package for them to carry. it would less than 15 seconds to steal your system.

Originally posted by sciguy007
i thought that was bad for the amp because the heat isnt dissipating properly?

It's not about the heat when mounted to the box, it's the potential of damage to the equipment caused by vibration... An amp's pretty solid, but inside the soldering and stuff is a different story.

well, the amp wont fit on top, so i suppose its going on the back of the box, piggyback style. i figure it will look good back there too. its not going to get rattled to death on there is it?

I really don't think you will have a problem if you do piggy-back style. I've had my amp screwed to the top of my box for over a year any have had no problems.

If you are worried about it overheating, just put a few washers as spacers between the amp and box. That way you can get more airflow under the amp too.

Back