• Register Today It's free!

security deposit?

paulfrank285

Reaction score
City, State
Union, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 EXP XLT
referred by a friend to a sales manager at a local dealer. test drove a XLT monday night but didn't make the decision, as to what upgrades i want. so i called him up next day morning, told him to add 2 small things and getting ready to give him my CC info to put some $ down. he said he would now order the car and told me just to stop by some day to fill up some paperworks and make the deposits later...

well, i really want the XLT, i am surprised that he didn't need my deposit before ordering the car. i hope it's because he trusts me since i am referred by a friend of his....i don't wanna find out later when i am ready to receive my car and he tells me sorry, sold!

what do you think?

It's more likely you ordered something he knows will sell if you back out.

Most dealers want hte deposit to get you off the market, not because they worry you won't take the car.

Agree, in most situations dealers and think "special order" cars are weird combos or may not have the most popular options or colors, ie--harder to sell if the buyer backs out. That doesn't really apply here where there are really very few cars to be had on lots.

When I was thinking about placing an order, the dealership wanted a $500 deposit.

I decided to look for the Explorer I wanted. Found one out of state, put a $250 credit card deposit on the truck, and then picked it up 3 weeks later.

Back