Security Horn Blowing, Buzzing from Black Module above drivers left foot - HELP | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Security Horn Blowing, Buzzing from Black Module above drivers left foot - HELP

sharonis3

Reaction score
City, State
New Brunswick
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Eddie V8, 02 Ltd V8
Hi:

Daughter had the truck last night.Called and said there was a loud, steady electronic buzzing under the dash and if she shut the truck off - the horn would blow after a short period of time. (which I assume is the security\key system horn)

Earlier this week, I noticed that if I turned the wheel to extreme, when backing up - the horn might blow once...

So after I got the truck home last night..... the buzzing is from a big black module, under the dash, above the drivers left foot (to the left of the steering shaft) What is this ????

Then the last thing I noticed last night was that for the last full turn of the wheel to the extreme left - I could hear a slight dragging noise from the steering wheel. Sounded like the dragging sould was just under the airbag.......(brushes screwed up for the steering wheel switches ?? - could this cause the symptoms)

Help - I am going to troubleshoot later this afternoon - all help would be appreciated......

I am good on mechanics, but have not messed with the security system....

This morning went to trouble shoot..... hooked battery up horn started blowing instantly.... started engine but horn would not shut off.... “Check RSC” message came up......So this is different than last night.

So shutoff and pulled the battery cable and pulled the horn fuse #14, from the fuse box under the dash above drivers left foot.... Started up and All was good but no horn of course.....I was wondering if it was the clockspring in the steering wheel... so I tried all the other switches on the steering wheel and all worked..... time to dig out some wiring diagrams and figure out what was buzzing....

Driving home with the horn fuse out.....the climate control display started blinking in drive... would stop blinking if I hit the brake... and start blinking again when I let go of the brake.... seems like the car had some “Flakiness” electrical symptoms....maybe a ground.... ????? Why would the brake pedal affect the climate control display panel....

Then another weird thing.... when I turned the dial that adjusts the brightness of the climate control display, at one position it would cause an electronic buzzing under the dash..... very repeatable, turn the dial and it would stop, put it back to the same mid level brightness postion and it would buzz.... just put OBD2 reader on it...... no codes...

Back