Security/remote start experts, I need some insight | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Security/remote start experts, I need some insight

hannibalhector

Reaction score
City, State
Bronx, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
aftermarket remote start/security system

I am a proud new owner of an XLT 2011 EX. When I had an '05 ex, I installed an autopage security/remote starter. It worked great. Especially on freezing cold winter mornings. Has anyone installed any security systems on their new Ex's yet? I was thinking about the Viper 5901. Would like some feedback.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am about to order the Viper 5902 for my 2011 Ex XLT. I have a place local where I get my stereo/alarm stuff installed. I am quite certain that they probably haven't done any installs on a 2011 Ex yet. Are there any concerns I should have with regard to additional items I may need to get this installed? Also will I lose my keyless entry? When I had my 2005 Ex, I had my alarm installed but when I punched in my keyless and opened the door, the alarm would go off. I'd like for that to not be the case. Appreciate any and all insight. Thanks.

I am about to order the Viper 5902 for my 2011 Ex XLT. I have a place local where I get my stereo/alarm stuff installed. I am quite certain that they probably haven't done any installs on a 2011 Ex yet. Are there any concerns I should have with regard to additional items I may need to get this installed? Also will I lose my keyless entry? When I had my 2005 Ex, I had my alarm installed but when I punched in my keyless and opened the door, the alarm would go off. I'd like for that to not be the case. Appreciate any and all insight. Thanks.

The dealer installed my alarm. It is the ford alarm and it was defective. I went in to have it fixed and spoke with their alarm guy. I asked how the quality of the ford alarm is. He said it's the same company that makes VIPER, he said it is a chinese manufuactured part and occasionally they get a bad batch. He swapped it out in about 5 minutes. My keyless entry works fine. The alarm is okay. Nothing spectacular but works from around 100 yards away.

Prior to the X I had a Mustang GT I had a "professional installer" put a viper alarm on. That alarm never worked right. This time I chose to stick with the dealer and if there is a problem it's under lifetime warranty. I did sort of had to stick with the dealer though, he threw the alarm in for buying the Extended Protection Plan.

OK...

When it comes to a Viper Alarm, it's all about the installer!

Your installer can check to see if they have a module out for the 2011 Explorer. Here is a website you can check out that shows they make allot of modules even for the push button start vehicles.

http://www.xpresskit.com/Default.aspx

I'm 99.9% sure you will not be able to use your factory keypad to arm/disarm the Viper alarm. If your Viper alarm is armed and you unlock your vehicle with the keypad, your Viper alarm will go off.

Unless the newer modules have better/updated capabilities!

However, I checked a few months ago because I have the Viper 5902 alarm with the iPhone Smart Start feature. I had this in my Dodge Ram and wanted to know if I would lose any functionality of the proximity entry/push to start. They did not have a module/express kit yet.

In my Dodge Ram, I could start my truck with the Viper remote or iPhone but I lost the factory "comfort control" feature that would turn the heated seats on if it was cold out.

I'm not planning on installing a Viper system in the Explorer unless it allows every feature from the factory to work.

I'm actually hoping that when Ford starts to offer remote start by smartphone, I can purchase from Ford an upgraded APIM that will allow the newer features. Ford has stated that MFT will be able to be upgraded by it's customers by purchasing a new module so their vehicles don't become outdated. The future will tell us if this will hold true!

OK...

In my Dodge Ram, I could start my truck with the Viper remote or iPhone but I lost the factory "comfort control" feature that would turn the heated seats on if it was cold out.

im glad you metioned this... as I also have a ton of questions on the smartstart module. I have a droid and previewed the app. it looks cool but it's hella pricey. Between the 5902 and the VSS were talking $500 before install!! Question is, is it worth it? How easy is the install for the VSS if you DONT do it at the same time of the 5902 install? Is it really $30 a year? How reliable is the signal? Forgive the bombardment of questions! =)

there is no way to use your factory keypad to disarm your alarm. the viper alarm system you want is a great unit but you will need the "DBALL" bypass that dei offers for your car. you will need two keys when you drop it off at the shop of your choice so they can program them to the bypass. what are your questions for the smart start?

p.s. i am an installer

sean

there is no way to use your factory keypad to disarm your alarm. the viper alarm system you want is a great unit but you will need the "DBALL" bypass that dei offers for your car. you will need two keys when you drop it off at the shop of your choice so they can program them to the bypass. what are your questions for the smart start?

p.s. i am an installer

sean

see above Sean, questions regarding the smartstart and whether or not its worth it or if the 5902 alone suffices.

its 50 a year now and 100 for 3 years. its a cool feature if you have cell reception all the time. if you dont it wont work. so you would have to still carry a key chain keypad. it really easy to install just plug in grab power and ground in go online to activate. dont get me wrong its a killer idea but on the android platform you dont get two way paging, iphone only.

forgive my newbness... 2 way paging is what exactly?

also... correct me if im wrong, but the smartstart system almost sounds like a pseudo lo-jack no? arent you able to pinpoint the exact location of your vehicle via gps ?

on some car alarms the remote will notify you if your sh*t is getting messed with.

there is no way to track it yet. yes you are basically making your car a phone but its not able to be located

OK another question... I just ordered my 5902 on amazon and of course it recommended me to buy a slew of accesories. They have audio sensors, tilt sensors and battery backups. Do i need any of that? I live in NYC and I park my ex on the street but usually right in front of my building which is on a busy street where there's constant traffic. I don't want my ish going off everytime a fire engine goes by...

one more thing... you may want to double check the car locator thing... the preview app I have on my droid has a GPS locator feature w/ google maps.

i would recommend the audio sensor it pics up the sound of broken glass. the shock sensor on the alarm will not pic glass break from a center punch of a piece of porcelain breaking the windows. the tilt is nice if you put wheels on or if cars are stolen due to towing. if there is a gps tracking thing its an upgrade recently.

The GPS feature is new within the last month. You need the updated module so if you buy a Smart Start setup, make sure your getting the newer module.

You can do all kinds of crazy things with the GPS like setting up a GEO Fence which will alert/text you if your car goes into an area you designated it shouldn't. You can get an alert if your car exceeds a certain speed limit.

I was an early adopter and they have worked out many of the bugs. I think it works pretty good. With the 5902 security system, if your alarm goes off, you will receive a text on your iPhone.

is the audio sensor/VSS stuff I can install on my own or is it almost as involved as the 5902. I read that it's a 'simple' plug and play sort of deal. Also Im worried that if i get the audio sensor that it'll set the alarm off whenever an ambulance or fire engine go off. deff dont want that

the audio sensor only pics up the sound of breaking glass thats it. you can install this stuff your self if you know what you are doing.

Don't go aftermarket. The Ford remote start unit is plug and play and is installed by an authorized dealer. Don't let those butchers cut into your wiring harness...

Why a security system? The immobilizer isn't enough?

Don't go aftermarket. The Ford remote start unit is plug and play and is installed by an authorized dealer. Don't let those butchers cut into your wiring harness...

Why a security system? The immobilizer isn't enough?

Immobilizer does not protect the contents of the vehicle or let you know that someone just hit it in a parking lot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sean,

Any experience with the DroneMobile (DR-1000) along with a CompuStar remote start system? Is this pretty comparable to the Viper SmartStart system? From what I can tell, it seems to be more reliable as a solution for starting your car from an Android phone than the Viper system?

Back