Staff member
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
OBD-1 Kenobi
hi yall. ive been searching the site all day today. this morning, i knew nothing about the explorer suspension. tonight, i kinda know some things. i have a 1992 ed 4wd. before you hit me with lowering blocks, ive read all the posts i could find, and i want to do the lowering RIGHT! and i dont want to slam it, bag it, just a 1-2 max. Blue just looks too stock right now. ive read about the i beams, the coils, the new shocks, and then the blocks and the leafs available. i just want to know what i will need to do the drop. i do have 4wd, and i still want to use it. contrary to popular beilef, we do get snow and ice in oklahoma. im wanting 2 inches because im thinking thats pretty safe for the oil pan, the diffential, and the travel between the frame and the ttb. well, if anyone can help out, i will appreciate it greatly! money isnt really an object, but i am cut back on hours! thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site!
It sounds like you already found most of the imformation you need. I don't know too much about lowering 1st gens, except that it isnt commonly done. I've heard bad things about harsh ride quality,etc. For that reason, I wouldnt go anymore than 1 1/2". Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but that should give you better handling with enough clearance from diff to oil pan without sacrificing much ride quality. To do accomplish that in the rear, you need the lowering blocks (found at any pepboys, etc). Make sure you replace your shocks! A complete lowering kit can be found at www.explorerexpress.com , but it is a tad pricey. The front is where my knowledge runs out. Sorry. Back me up here, guys :D Hope that helps a bit.

ya, explorer express doesnt have lowering kits for the 1st gen....even talked to john myself. i DO know i need to new shocks and coils in front, not sure will that do it all right there in the front and then new leaves in the rear. is that all i need? if so, where do i find them?

Are you sure you need new leaves in the rear?

i did read that post, but it didnt tell me how to lower an ex with 4wd. thats my prob. what do i need for my ex?

I don't think the process/parts needed for lowering a 4WD is any different than a 2WD. With 4WD, you however are limited to how far you can drop it. I think 3 is max. With 4WD, you also need to be careful about the front CV joints binding, I dont think they'll last long with that much of a drop. Have you had yours replaced recently?

hmm, cv joints...thats new to me..sorry. um, would all i need is the 2" drop coils with new shocks in front, and then the blocks or new leaf springs from eiback in back? i dont want 3 inches, i mean, if i can get it there safely, then sure, ya, but i want to be in a comfortable buffer zone. 1-2 i will be happy with!

Yea, all you would need is the drop coils for the front, blocks for the rear, and new shocks all around.

ok, so two questions now....what are cv joints....i dont know why i dont know this, must be a brain fart.

2nd, here is the hard part. where can i find dropped coils? i know eibach doesnt make them anymore, and i havent seen on any of the other posts the same part for the job. and what shocks are recommended?

Rest easy NICE59FORDF100

Your 91 does not have cv jounts. Look under your truck at the distance between your frame and your front bumpstops, That is your limiting factor. Welcome aboard!

ok, i have a 92. but what are cv joints? and will the coils on that site i posted work?

You don't have to worry about CV joints because your truck doesn't have them. The springs on that site should work fine.

ok, i jut tried to call macsprings.com in ca, but it was after hours. has anyone ever bought anything from them?

Back