Seized shut throttle plate. Any ideas???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seized shut throttle plate. Any ideas????

LuckyBstard

Reaction score
City, State
Waveland, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT 5.0L
This project vehicle got shelved but now I am back to fixing it. This is totally my bad. I took the breather assembly off around Oct 2015. With only the hood closed to protect it, it was exposed to some of the fabulous humid weather and salty air that is around here. I was going to install the intake assembly when I noticed I needed to clean off the gasket on the throttle body. Got to looking at the throttle and saw the patina and oxidization inside the throttle all around the throttle plate. I tried to manually pull the linkage to open the throttle and it won't budge, not even a wiggle. Sprayed it with PB blaster and let it sit for a bit and tried to move it again, and again it doesn't move at all.

Anyone have any suggestions because I am fresh out of ideas and googling this condition has had zero results, as if to say that I am the only one to ever have had this problem, LOL. I tried to upload a photo but that seems to be unavailable.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How about carb or throttle body cleaner? Does it look like carbon buildup or aluminum oxidation or both?

I vaguely recall that ammonia will dissolve aluminum oxide, but I would be very careful not to get too much on it, just to wipe with a paper towel while wearing gloves. That's all I can really suggest without seeing it and since PB Blaster didn't work, except maybe taking the TPS off and mildly heating the throttle body in an oven, to soften gunk and because aluminum has a higher coefficient of expansion than steel (isn't the throttle plate steel, anyone?), then gentle taps to free it with a piece of dowel rod so as to (hopefull) not dent the plate, maybe put another piece of metal sheeting over it to distribute the impact.

I did try Gumout Throttle body cleaner... didn't move it. It may be carbon buildup on the inside but I didn't completely unbolt it to get a look at the other side. The throttle plate has a look like brass and is turning green (patina) at the edge where it contacts the aluminum bore. And the aluminum bore is riddles with white crusty oxidization. How can I post a photo for you to see?

Upload pics to a site like http://www.imgur.com and the link from there pastes into the popup box when you click the image icon above the reply window. White crusty is what I would sparingly try to get off with ammonia, but so far you have used two solvent products so you might as well see if the crusty material dissolves in water with a wet paper towel.

Otherwise, seems like copper is softer than aluminum and brass so I'd get a copper scrub pad (kitchenware item) and see if that'll take it off.

The throttle plate is steel and has a cadmium-like coating on it...so, you're seeing a brass-like finish. I'm quite familiar with that whitish corrosion from aluminum "galling" and that is probably what seized the plate to the housing. If it were mine...and, the cleaners weren't doing the job...I'd remove it from the truck and use my Dremel w/steel wire wheel as close to the edge of the throttle plate (both sides) to try and break the bond by cleaning as much corrosion away as possible. I realize, however, that not everyone owns a Dremel...and, for the cost of one, you could pick up a used throttle body at your local Pick-n-Pull for far less money. Otherwise, you'll probably need to keep trying to bust it free with cleaners/solvents and lightly tapping on the plate as mentioned by J_C.

This is what it looked like before I hosed it with PB blaster.

20160626_185841_zpshyjzeeyn.jpg.html

Go to the salvage yard and find a good one. I wouldn't want to take a chance on a T/B that might stick open on you in the future.

Have to agree with koda2000. From the OP's description and smallest pic we've never seen, the throttle bore sounds pitted. For the price of a used TB, don't take a chance. Sticking throttles are no fun, especially at WOT. :eek:

I tried to post the pic from photobucket but I am a noob here. I did right click the image icon and selected open link in new tab and it comes up rather decent sized in a new tab.
I tried a few local yards.. found plenty of XLT models but nothing left under their hoods. I did find one stripped to the short block. I will shop around for a used one. Thanks for tips.

I have a different opinion about it sticking, that if you get the plate open it shouldn't be hard to clean all the corrosion off, but that there might be a slight gap once that happens. Not sure how much that would effect idle quality, though the other aspect if it sticking is the bearings the shaft goes through and those can be lubed, and is something I should have mentioned, to squirt some PB Blaster followed by high temperature grease in the bearings before trying to force it open. This assumes they're brass, if plastic then (ugh!) some silicone grease instead of petroleum based.

Certainly a junk yard throttle body in better shape is a better option but I made the suggestion above because as of yet you haven't found one. I would also worry about the condition of the rest of the engine, or actually the whole vehicle.

Back