Select Shift automatic - sport mode | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Select Shift automatic - sport mode

Krazy kat

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 explorer
When in Sport mode, will the transmission upshift automatically to protect me from overrevving? I accidentally shifted into Sport instead of Drive and noticed the engine was revving higher than normal; that's when I noticed my mistake...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When in Sport mode, will the transmission upshift automatically to protect me from overrevving? I accidentally shifted into Sport instead of Drive and noticed the engine was revving higher than normal; that's when I noticed my mistake...

According to the owners manual, yes it will make to protective shift for you. Page 182.

But there's also this warning:

Note: Engine damage may occur if
excessive engine revving is held without
shifting.

Covering their butts maybe??

Explorer gets 6.0 seconds from 0-60mph, I wonder how much quicker will it be if you manually shift it. Maybe by like 0.1 or 0.2 seconds, but not much more faster.

The fuel will cut off as you hit redline and over rev.
No issues driving in high rpms, other than seeing your fuel level drop fast.

Mine will shift, and it will shift well in advance of redline. Pretty conservatively tuned by Ford. Probably realized that many owners would not even know they existed and accidentally hit the shifter (which my wife has done several times.). Really, it makes sense for this vehicle. I use the shift paddles when I'm taking a turn aggressively and that's about it. I highly doubt I would net a faster 0-60 or 1/4 mi ET if I shifted it myself. Very likely better to let the car shift for itself for the best times.

Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
BTW, loved the Krazy Kat cartoons. :):thumbsup:

Peter

Back