• Register Today It's free!

Self levelling suspension warning

captainslow

Reaction score
City, State
Peterborough, England, UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 UK spec
Hi everyone, I live in England and have just bought 1998 Explorer. After about five miles of driving, the self levelling suspension defect warning light illuminates. If I stop, switch off the engine and restart, the warning lamp has gone out, and is OK for about anotheive miles or mayabe more before it comes on again.
What's wrong, and is it expensive???
thanks for any advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome 2 to the forum

Search for other threads about the ARC suspension, usually it turns out to be leaking or a failed pump. Shocks usually solve the leaks. Welcome,

Yes, there was a seal kit to replace those, I have one for my Lincoln which I've never used. Spray some dish washing liquid on them.

Hi captainslow, my name is graham and i live in Bradford, west yorks.. I have an explorer 1999 and have exactly the same problem. I will watch this thread in anticipation.

Self levelling suspension

Hi Thorpedo,
I posted that a year ago, and in that year the fault has come and gone. If we have a load or rear passengers, the light comes on within about twenty miles. If only solo or two of us on board it may not come on at all. It all seems relative to the amount of regular daily use that the Explorer receives.
When we bought it, it had only been used two or three times a week. Now it is driven daily, the seals may have regained some more of their flex.
Spraying with soap solution to look for leaks sounds a good idea, but I haven't noticed any appreciable drop in handling. Let's face it, we're running on cart springs for goodness sakes. The air suspension is only an aid at best, so I would be happy to ignore it now.

Thanks for that captainslow, i appreciate your reply.

Back