• Register Today It's free!

Sell me on the 2020-21!

swp1983

Reaction score
City, State
Castaic
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ram cummins
Tired of our 2012 Equinox. Drove the 2021 Explorer today. 3 different models. Was most impressed/sold on the Rear wheel drive and surprising power of the 4 cyl. But....

I need to know the current common issues/complaints with the new rig that I should be aware of and start my research! I’m well versed with Chevy dodge products, not Ford!
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I suggest that you browse the threads in the 6th gen forum to get the info you seek as it's all there. You will find several threads on transmission issues. That item appears to be the weak link in the new Explorer. Have you also tested the Aviator?
I don't know if you are looking at possibly ordering a 2021 but the last date to do so is June 25th.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I suggest that you browse the threads in the 6th gen forum to get the info you seek as it's all there. You will find several threads on transmission issues. That item appears to be the weak link in the new Explorer. Have you also tested the Aviator?
I don't know if you are looking at possibly ordering a 2021 but the last date to do so is June 25th.

Peter
Naw , not gonna order one but I have searched around a bit on this forum. Have read a little on the trans. Was a little Leary on that 10 speed since i think it’s new.
is the main difference between the 18-19 the trans and rear wheel drive? And the hybrid option?

The 11-19's were fwd based and had a 6 speed transaxle, the 20, 21's are rwd based and use a 10 speed trans similar to what is in the mustang, ranger, and the f150. You can get a tune to fix the trans shifting issues and tailor it to your liking. Also the 20+ is a little lighter than the 11-19's. My old 18 sport weighed in a 4,778 lbs according to the invoice, my new 21 ST weighs 4,606, about 170 lbs lighter.

The 11-19's were fwd based and had a 6 speed transaxle, the 20, 21's are rwd based and use a 10 speed trans similar to what is in the mustang, ranger, and the f150. You can get a tune to fix the trans shifting issues and tailor it to your liking. Also the 20+ is a little lighter than the 11-19's. My old 18 sport weighed in a 4,778 lbs according to the invoice, my new 21 ST weighs 4,606, about 170 lbs lighter.
Awesome , good info. I’m always Leary when a manufacturer puts out a new component.

is the main difference between the 18-19 the trans and rear wheel drive? And the hybrid option?
The 5th gen with its transverse-mounted engine has an internal water pump while the 6th gen with the longitudinal engine has an external one.
The internal one when it leaked could take out the engine and did several times.

Peter

The 5th gen with its transverse-mounted engine has an internal water pump while the 6th gen with the longitudinal engine has an external one.
The internal one when it leaked could take out the engine and did several times.

Peter
Geez ! These cars are getting harder and harder to work on. Glad they changed that.
good info.

Peter
The 2.3 L from 5th gen didn’t have this issue. It was just the v6 engine that had this issue.

Tired of our 2012 Equinox. Drove the 2021 Explorer today. 3 different models. Was most impressed/sold on the Rear wheel drive and surprising power of the 4 cyl. But....

I need to know the current common issues/complaints with the new rig that I should be aware of and start my research! I’m well versed with Chevy dodge products, not Ford!
thanks

Based on what I've read online, it seems to be really hit or miss. All I can provide is my experience. We bought a (new) late 2020 build Limited 4x4 2.3L in October of '20 and 4200 miles later, not a single issue to report. Solid, bug free and as quiet and comfortable as the day we bought it!

Bought ours in May 2020. Lovely machine. No problems, and now at about 14,000 km.

Naw , not gonna order one but I have searched around a bit on this forum. Have read a little on the trans. Was a little Leary on that 10 speed since i think it’s new.
I can speak to the 2021 Hybrid option. Bought one, drove it for 4 plus days and returned it to the dealer and swapped it out (at significant added cost) for a regular Limited with the 2.3. Random jerky starts from the line on the Hybrid and the regenerative braking just was too strange for me. When it works well, the Hybrid is smooth and quiet ... which is what I observed when I test drove it. When the shifting (either the transmission and/or electric to gas or both) acts up ... it isn't pretty. Anyhow, I am settled in on the regular base engine and hoping for a smooth journey.

thanks
Are you 30,000$ plus tried

Aim for the newest available explorer.

I never really believed the myth of never buying a first year of a generation of any car. Did that in the past with no issues. I don't have any "serious" issues with my 20 XLT but there are many annoyances and some minor issues. Some people are stated the same issues on the 21 as well so there goes that theory.

I would wait for a 22 IMHO.

Try to get an ST though. That's something i would've done different if i was still in the market for an explorer.

Many people may get mad at this comment but I 2nd the get a later built one than an early build. If going for 2020 look at build dates on the door sticker, 2021 I think you will be safe.

My reasoning is from having worked in a union and all the dumb issues mine has had. Magically there were a lot of employee issues of things like people actually showing up to work while Ford was renegotiating with the UAW. For some reason union employees think they have better negotiating power by doing piss poor work. They go under the thought of if you don't give us what we want then we will just burn everything down.

There is a reason why some companies if a new contract isn't signed when the old one expires they litterly lock the doors and do not let them in the building. I have seen it first hand people doing things on purpose to try and make the company hurt more.

Also, it was a pretty magical situation after the new contract was signed the plant stopped having as many issues. Weird how that works.

Just a WAG, but I'm thinking that quality improved drastically just after the UAW ratified the new labour contract in November 2019.

Back