sensitive turn signal switch

BonesDT

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Westchester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
Red '99 Sport SOHC 4x4
i was wondering if anyobne else had this problem. ever since i bought my x 3 years ago, it has been doing this. the turn signal lever is very frustrating and doesnt stay on sometimes. im guessing its because my wheel is not steered perfectly straight but it just seems waaayyy too sensitive unlike all other cars. anything?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ive got a similiar problem in my truck. Sometimes it wont engage you have to push on it kinda hard or just hold it down a bit and itll work. Though It hasnt done it in quite some time. I think the contacts inside the switch wear out. I know rangers have similar problems. The wipers in rangers will turn on, on thier own. I know in my truck The wipers wont keep constant timing sometimes they speed up. Im sure its the switch the lever's connected too.

Mine is like that only on the left. The right works "how it should". I just live with it.

Mine does the same thing. I've heard stories of it starting to buzz when you hold it and burst into flames. Mine buzzed once and I did smell something after it did it. Kinda scary.

if you put on your left turn signal for example, a good car will let you turn your wheel as much to the right as you want, it will only go off when you turn the wheel to the right ONLY after you have turned it left. this is an excellent system. my explorer will turn the left signal off after the slightest right movement of the steering wheel. very very frustrating. i find myself never using my turn signal anymore and i dont want to be that guy that you follow when your late for work in the left lane and then decides to make a left without his signal!

hmmmm

If your turn signal stalk wobbles around a bit then your multifunction switch is worn. Mine used to make the buzzing sound when I pushed the stalk to hard for a left turn singnal. I replaced my multifunction switch today for $53.00. The signal is now tight and stays on a whole lot better. I had to change mine as the low beam part of the switch burnt out. It was fairly easy but you need a Torx 15 screwdriver.

MBrooks420: How did you go about replacing it? Was it hard. Would appreciate the procedure you used. Mine makes the same noise. Thanks. Mike

It was pretty easy. Youu remove the screws under the steering column to remove the plastic cover. After that comes off remove the tilt wheel handle. Remove the torx 15 screws and the wiring harnesses come out. The hardest part is getting off the wiring clips, they are clipped on both sides. I was replacing mine so I just snapped them off of the switch itself. Plug the harnesses in screw everything back together. I am very happy with how much nicer the turn signal works.

Good Luck

Thanks so much! Think I will give it a try. Mike

Back