Separate wheels/tpms, definitive edition for 2016+ explorers. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Separate wheels/tpms, definitive edition for 2016+ explorers.

kmarnes

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
There are many threads and questions about reprogramming tpms if you have a dedicated winter set of tires. And of course, this is the time of year everyone is getting set up.

With the 2016+ Explorer, they introduced a display mode that shows individual tire pressure. Older models don't have this.

The specific sensor part is: TPMS35 F2GZ-1A189-A, available on Amazon.com for about $70 USD for a set of 4, for OEM parts. The price in Canada at the dealer was something like $82 per sensor.

There is also a TPMS19 sensor retraining tool. You do not need this!

When you swap tires out, the sensors won't pick it up until about 5 miles / 8km of driving -- maybe more. I drove it around the block once, and then a couple days later, it kicked in half way to work. Last year when I did this, I made sure all tires were 35lbs of pressure. This time, I only did a single wheel. So when it kicked in, my front left showed 38lbs -- it had sinced warmed up, and my other tires were all showing 29lbs. I have bidirectional winters and rotate them, so I was certain this was not trained to the wrong position.

So it is a nice setup -- the car figures it out, you just have to drive it until it chooses to reset.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 11-15s do monitor individual tire pressures (all 4 individually) you just cant see it from the display. The same goes for swapping on those years too.

Did not know that, so good info. The TPMS parts are the same or different?

I was told they are different. I had the ones that I used on the wheels on my MKT that did not show individual pressures and was told that they could not be trained with my 2017 because it has a different system. The invoice for the 2017 sensors showed TPMS *35* kit while the older ones showed TPMS *12* kit.

Peter

Yup, I use forscan to see all 4 pressures when I am inflating. I just watch it on my phone and inflate till I get to the correct pressure. Pretty stupid Ford doesn't activate this for us in the display but it is there.

Curious if the vehicle relearns itself why do they put a relearn mode in the software? I rotate my tires each year and put it in relearn mode, then let air out of each tire, it recognizes that tire then tells me where to move to next. Are you saying it does it all itself and this isn't necessary?

Relearn Mode – turn vehicle accessories on with button – no engine - (keys left in vehicle) – press hazard lights on and off 3 times – enters relearn mode – move from left front etc , honks horn each time as it sees the air pressure drop in that tire

Yep, don't need to do any of that. It's probably legacy. Once the confidence is there that it works, then you can just get the pressure right on all your tires, then drive it for a few miles until it automatically resets.

And I had to empirically test it myself first... last winter, I had the winters tires installed at the Ford dealer, so I did nothing but buy the retraining tool from them. They said I needed it. Then in the spring, I put my summers on, but didn't do the reprogramming step. I aired all the tires normally, and didn't notice anything peculiar -- and was waiting to see if I would need to do the reprogramming later. But I couldn't definitely prove at that time that the TPMS were in the right positions. So this time, I selected one tire that was aired up 5 lbs higher than the rest, I know the positions were rotated since the year before. I was looking to see if the higher pressure tire would show up in the correct position or not, and it did!

So I'm refunding my overpriced training tool on my next scheduled maintenance. So hopefully I can prevent some people from buying training tools or wasting time doing the legacy reprogramming tricks.

I just let my dealer do it as part of the changeover procedure.:)

Thanks ! I just rotated my tires and went thru the process, next year I will try letting it go, not bother to do the re-learn and see how it works out.

I do remember the first time I did the re-learn that it refused to do it until I drove it a few miles, maybe that should have been my first clue, perhaps it had done the re- learn on it's own. This last time I waited a week to do the re-learn, of course I never thought to check if it was already done. Live and learn...

I just picked up a used set of winters that were used on a EX. He cant remember if he had the TMPS in there. I was hoping they are and will work but his was a 14 so I havent got my hopes up.

I just picked up a used set of winters that were used on a EX. He cant remember if he had the TMPS in there. I was hoping they are and will work but his was a 14 so I havent got my hopes up.
If they were on a 2014 then they will not work on your 2017. I am currently using the wheels that were on my 2014 MKT which did not have the individual pressure readouts and I had to change the sensors so that they would work with new TPMS system on my 2017. The sensors are also a different number as indicated in my post #4 above. Other members have encountered the same problem.

Peter

I put my 2015 snowtires on from tirerack; onto my 2017. Got the TPMS icon on the dash on about the next three trips. Since then, the TPMS icon has disappeared from the dash! I cannot see spending humdreds of dollars on new TPMS units at this point.

I bought a set of 4 off amazon (us site) for $70. But then you'd have to get them installed. So it's not too bad.

I put my 2015 snowtires on from tirerack; onto my 2017. Got the TPMS icon on the dash on about the next three trips. Since then, the TPMS icon has disappeared from the dash! I cannot see spending humdreds of dollars on new TPMS units at this point.
Are you getting the correct readings for each wheel?

Are you getting the correct readings for each wheel?
I checked the user manual, all 90 search entries that refer to tire pressure, everything on the left side dash display, and all settings on the center screen, and I cannot find one area that I can read the tire pressure reading of each tire. What am I missing?

Could it be that you have the Platinum level that may offer this option to read individual tire pressure?

I checked the user manual, all 90 search entries that refer to tire pressure, everything on the left side dash display, and all settings on the center screen, and I cannot find one area that I can read the tire pressure reading of each tire. What am I missing?

Could it be that you have the Platinum level that may offer this option to read individual tire pressure?
I believe the 4 wheel tire pressure display is available on all 2017 trims. It is in one of the menus in the left hand Information Display. The Manual mentions it starting on page 104 and 105.

Peter

I believe the 4 wheel tire pressure display is available on all 2017 trims. It is in one of the menus in the left hand Information Display. The Manual mentions it starting on page 104 and 105.

Peter
What tricked me originally is that the left hand dashboard display shows an option for Tire pressure, but that display is for selecting the units of psi or kpa.
I checked my on line manual and it appears that the US version of the owners manual seems to have been revised today. I did find out how to read the tire pressure on each tire for my model and screen display. Go to new user manual on line/select Information Display from left tabs/select General Information below as a sub tab/selected my dashboard type which was Type 2/scroll down to Display mode, scroll down to Tire Pressure on demand.
So on your vehicle, on the left dashboard screen, select Display, and then scroll through the options until you get to tire pressure on demand and select this option. My display showed all four tires and the reading was 33 psi on all four tires.
Update: two days later the TPMs error light came back on the dashboard display, I checked the tire pressure display, and the display showed a blank reading for all four tires at that time.

I upgraded my 2014 Explorer Sport to a 2018 Explorer Sport.

When I had the 2014, I bought a set of winter wheels/tires at a tire shop (ie: NOT the Ford Dealer). They installed some sort of 3rd party TPMS sensors which I believe they "cloned" to mimick the OEM TPMS sensors, so I wouldn't have to relearn anything.

I now have a 2018, which of course shows the individual pressures. I tried the relearn procedure, and even bought a relearn tool off Amazon, to no avail. In my research, it looks like the OEM TPMS part numbers are different for 2014 and 2015 (looking at RockAuto), but the frequency looks like it is still 315Mhz. Is there something truly different about the 2018 TPMS sensors?

Does anyone know if these 3rd party generic sensors can be re-trained to work with the newer model vehicles? Because of the season, I can't get a hold of the tire shop.

[QUOTE="stillmarried, post: 3661324, member: 284575"........................... My display showed all four tires and the reading was 33 psi on all four tires.
Update: two days later the TPMs error light came back on the dashboard display, I checked the tire pressure display, and the display showed a blank reading for all four tires at that time.[/QUOTE]Did you ever get this resolved and how?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum ncnmra.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one.
The 2016+ sensors are different than the pre-2016 ones. You will find different opinions on how/what to do. Some say that with Forscan you can get the older ones to work and others say that just driving will retrain the sensors. I personally just bought the correct ones for my 2017 18" Winter wheels and the dealer does the retraining every time I swap them with my 20" OEM wheels as part of the changeover service. I had the older sensors in the Winter wheels before and the dealer was not able to 'train' them to work with the 2017.
Tire Pressure Monitor Components for 2018 Ford Explorer | Auto Nation Ford White Bear La

Peter

Back