• Register Today It's free!

separator plate

greg s

Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville,FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 4wd sohc Explorer
Hi everyone, I finally got around to ordering all the parts I need to fix the transmission or at least I thought. I used the Ford bulletin to figure out which separator plate I needed but it did not contain the "7Z490" in the part number, it looks like only 1998 and above have that number (mine is 97 4.0l sohc explr). I was under the impression that the new plate would have the gaskets bonded to the plate but what I received was just the plate no gaskets. It was in the original Ford package all stapled shut. Has anyone else run across this? The plate is very thick approx. 1/8"+, I saw reference to the later model plates being thin like sheet metal? Thanks for all the help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

5R55E Trans Correction Upgrades

There are a couple of aftermarket kits which are supposed to address the problems of the 5R55E's. I chose the TransGo kit, because I have experience with several examples of their correction kits in different vehicles.

I was prepared to buy the two recommended Ford upgrade parts, and the TransGo kit. After reading the instructions, I called TransGo about the other Ford parts. I wanted to know if they were compatible. I was told that their kit would negate the need for the Ford parts, and they highly recommended that I replace the EPC solenoid. It is often known to fail, or cause problems.

I installed just the EPC solenoid, and the TransGo kit. It takes a while to do, and the EPC solenoid is over $100 by itself. I highly recommend buying a manual before you do any work involving a valve body. The ATSG manuals are less than $15, and usually are a big help.

Use a good Mercon V, or synthetic fluid, or Mercon III with the special LubeGuard additive. Good luck,
Don

Don, just curious, were you experiencing the infamous 2-3 shift flare when you installed the TransGo kit?

When I installed the updated separator plate in mine, I compared it to the old one, and a couple holes were different. Did you have to drill new holes in your old plate, with the TransGo?

Greg, that's strange about the separator plate you received. My updated plate was the same thickness as the old one, and the 'update' included bonded gaskets. The plate number for my 2000 is 1L5Z-7Z490-GA.
The relief/blow-off valve part number is 3L5Z-7M203-JA.

Sorry guys, my work was first maintenance on a wrecked chassis. I bought a 99 Limited for the chassis. It wasn't really driveable, and I'm still in the middle of changes.

The kit wasn't as complicated as some of their others. There weren't many holes to adjust in the plate. A few of the valves have different springs and/or valves to replace.

However you do get into the valve body, be sure to have a manual handy to help if some "L" shaped pins fall out. They are hard to see, and harder to find where they go back in. Try to not let them fall out. None of the valves that you need to work on have those pins holding them in. Two of mine fell out, and the page 52 ATSG picture was very hard to read. I have only the two bands left to adjust on mine. Good luck,
Don

Definitely get the manual before you disassemble. Wish I'd done that, one of the valves fell form its bore in the VB while I was performing this very TSB, and it sure _seemed_ like it went a certain way, but without a manual, I was guessing. I guessed wrong, and it appears I burnt the TCC plates (in less than 30 miles), and need to replace the torque converter.

This TSB isn't too bad to do, half of is what you'd do to change the fluid and filter, but if anything falls out of the VB (like the L pins mentioned or a valve), without a manual you are up the creek.

The Ford separator plate I received had the gaskets bonded toit (one on each side). It sounds like either they shipped you the wrong part or they forgot to bond on your gaskets. Get them to order you a new one.

Each model takes a different part number. I used my original plate with the TransGo kit. Those particular gaskets were the hardest that I have ever removed. It took a couple of hours, and I still ended up having to use a razor blade, and 1500 sand paper. Good luck,
Don

Thanks for the replies, I dont know that the plate is any thicker than the original as I have not taken anything apart yet. My question was regarding the "7Z490" part suffix that they refer to. If you look at the parts application chart on the bulletin that suffix only starts from 1998 and up, none of the years prior have that suffix in their part #. The valve kit comes with instructions and a diagram of the plate showing #50 hole being deleted on the new plate and mine definately has that deleted. Has anyone purchased a plate for a pre 98 model and did it have the gaskets? I emailed the Ford Parts Network to see what they had to say. It sounds like between the Ford parts and the after market kits it has stopped some of the problems.

Back