• Register Today It's free!

Serious battery Issues

racer_x_one

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
So, I woke up the other day to a dead battery and checked the usual, no lights on etc and the battery isnt that old (less than 3 years). I figured I had a parasitic drain and read up on the site for ideas and narrowed it down to the 40 amp fuse under the hood labeled fuse panel. Havent got much futher than that other than pullin each fuse individually under the dash with no result. After being out all day today driving (high 80's) I popped the hood to poke around and could hear the battery hissing out the service vents. I popped them off and the battery was bubbling very vigorously and was extremly hot to the touch. What could be going on here? The battery voltage engine off is 12.85 and engine running is 14. something I dont remember. Any help would be appriciated. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was the acid actually coming out of the vents or was the bubbling contained within the battery?

Typically, anything above 14.4v while charging (i.e. the engine running) can (there's a possibility, but it's not 100%) cause a battery to start gassing which is what it sounds like you experienced. It can cause the acid in the battery to vent and the battery itself to increase in temperature - also something you experienced.

At any rate, check the "water" level, assuming it's not one of those maintenance free types, it could be low. If so, fill it up using distilled water until the water in each cell is just below the bottom of the hole. Then take it to some place like Autozone, O'Reilly, etc. and have the battery checked. If your alternator is a 95 amp model, it shouldn't be putting out more than 15.0v, for the 110 & 130 amp alternators, it shouldn't put out more than 14.7 volts. If it is, chances are you have a faulty voltage regulator.

It could be a short in the battery.I had one in a 99 olds cutlass do that and after replacing the battery it was fine.

When I woke to the dead battery I toke it inside topped off the cells (they were a little low but no lead exposed) and charged it for an hour. Im not sure of the acid concentration I dont have a hydrometer, but I will get one and check. Also the dead cell makes sence and might be the problem. So do you think this is the cause of the parasitic drain or I still have that to deal with? Thanks for the help!

there should still be some warranty on the battery so thats where i would start

i would get your alternator and battery checked. i would jsut replace the battery.

Well I woke to another dead battery this morning. I brought it in to charge it and it would not hold a charge, the voltage was 10.45. It ended up that it did have a dead cell draging it down. I bought a new battery, installed it and everything seams fine. Engine running voltage at idle is 14.82 and 14.79 at 2000 rpm. I still have the 54 ma drain but now I'm wondering if that was there all a along it's just that my battery crapped out on me. Thanks for the help guys.

Back