Serious engine problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Serious engine problems

mmunsee

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer
My 94 is acting really weird,

When im on the freeway and accelerating it just stops accelerating i have to take my foot off gas pedal and re apply the gas pedal, sometimes that doesnt even work. There is no power AT ALL, the truck barely makes it up steep hills. Any ideas what would cause these symptoms?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Clogged cats? Fuel filter - fuel pump?

How do i go about checking all those things? is there a how to guid somewhere on this forum?

it's probably your fuel pump. I had the same problem with mine. change your fuel filter first to see if it helps, it only costs 8 bucks. If that doesn't help, it's probably the fuel pump. what I did every time it bogged down like that was popped it in nuetral and killed the engine and let it coast for about 2 to 3 seconds and then started it again. gave it a quick rev and popped it back into drive. that got me a little bit more drive time before it bogged down again. that worked for a few days until I just had to suck it up and just drop the tank and put a new pump in it. it took me about 30 minutes to drop the tank and take out the pump. that was the easy part. I cleaned out the tank like if it was a brand spankin new tank. huge pain in the ass puting it back up though. if you do it by yourself, a floor jack is a huge second helping hand puting the tank back up. hope this helps

This could help

This happen to me too. Try cleaning your MAF, believe me when this happen to me I was anxious to death being stuck in the freeway. But I made it slowly and immediately went to my mechanic and after driving around he says its the MAF..and He is right. Clean it and you will be surprised...
Hope this help...

Back