• Register Today It's free!

Serious Issue I Think

Big_Stig352

Reaction score
City, State
Spring Hill, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Explorer Limited
okay so heres the deal, this is a completly stock truck, 93 ex limited 4x4 and all the goods, only things ive done is new plugs/wires, and audio stuff, ol girl ran out of gas, i got it going again, and now if i need it to "**** and get" the engine just kinda sputters and i roll away slowly, if its in park or neutral, it revs up just fine, unless if i just floor it, then it sputters and spits untill it actually revs up. it wont start cold unless i put a brand new battery in it, or spray a great deal of starting fluid into the intake, even if i disconnect the battery as soon as i turn it off, but once its warmed up i can start it and shut it off all day. i reset the TPS, and that fixed the misfire it had, but it still wont put the power down, when it gets between 5-6k RPM, i know its high. but it shoots out black smoke and makes an angry growl sound. i have searched but to no avail. please someone help, i was going to try to pull the CEL codes tomorrow using the method explained on here with a bit of wire and the EEC test clip. someone please help, i think it might me the MAF sensor, but im not sure at all. anyone else had this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try pulling codes first, pointless to speculate especially if a code points you in the correct direction.

i did everything in your tutorial on how to pull the codes with the eec test clip, and the check engine light just stays on like there is nothing there. what am i doing wrong?

If you ran it dry, It could have clogged the fuel filter with crap from the tank. That's a simple fix to change it. Drivers side frame rail under the front door.

would it make it do that? and also make the exhaust smell like rotten eggs?

I would replace the fuel filter, then take it to an exhaust shop to have the cat checked!

one of my neighbors said that my cat was clogged, but like, i felt the exhaust coming out and it felt on par with what it should be pushing, i will have to do fuel filter next wednsday.

Cough...cough...

Okay, pardon me if I break this down in the simplest layman's terms possible.

Think of the engine as just an air pump with a brain.

Sucks air in (intake/air filter), pushes it out (exhaust).

Clog either pathway and it will bog down. Make sure it has a clear pathway front to back.

The energy needed to make this happen is provided by the fuel consumption. Clog this pathway, and it will bog down. Make sure it has a clear pathway.

The life force to make all these things combine and create life, is spark. Weak spark, weak output, strong spark, strong output. Kind of like a Heart pumping blood.

To coordinate all this takes brains. This is the purpose of the computer, to make everything run in time, like a conductor in an orchestra. Sever a nerve, and the timing is compromised.

So to me, if it runs fine at idle, but not under a load, I would check the strength of both spark and fuel pressure. I would also check the intake from filter to throttle body, and also check for a vacuum leak. Then I would check the exhaust, from manifolds to tail pipe.

My guess off hand is weak spark, from either a bad coil pack(s), fouled plugs, or firing order is wrong from plug wires.

I second the cat issue.....run around the block a couple of times at night then go back and look at the cat as soon as you pull back into the drive....if it is glowing hot...it could be the cat.

dont think its the spark, just did plugs and wires, and my friend tested the coilpack/distributor box, if i press the valve on the fuel rail, gas pisses out, i did all the wires and plugs 1 at a time so i couldent mess them up, and my neighbor came over and stood on the gas for about 3 mins and the exhaust up to the first cat was glowing. can i just cut out the cats? i live in florida, and they dont care about emisions here. and also, it idles at about 650-750, it slowly fluxuates, so it dont idle smooth, but if i just tap the gas a little bit and hold it there, it runs considerably smooth.

Last edited:

I had a mustang that had an ECM fail and held open one injector constantly. By the time we got it home it had dumped almost a quarter of a tank of gas down the pipe. Once I fixed it, the cat was plugged due to all the unburnt fuel it picked up. It idled ok and ran smooth without a load.....under load, it bogged down and spewed black smoke. Cat glowed when I got back home. I just took it off and punched the guts out of the cat and re-attached.

Hopefully there was no reason other than old age that your cat plugged. If your plugs you changed out looked normal when you took them out, then I would guess that replacing the cat would be fine...feel I can't legally recommend that you knock the cats guts out or just remove it. You may want to do a little digging on the engine to make sure that there was nothing that caused your cat to plug if it is indeed plugged.

heres exactly what i did to cause this issue, just bought the truck, had a few beers, and thought to myself, hmm i have an suv with 4x4 it can do anything anwhere, found a few ditchs with a few good sized hills and sand, put the pedal to the floor and screamed POWERRRRRRRRRRr a few times, then it ran out of gas. does this help?

Changing the fuel filter would be an easy first try thing. Being that it started after you ran it out of fuel. I have seen a blown head gasket make a cat glow too, but it was accompanied by alot of white smoke out of the exhaust. That is why pulling the plugs might not be a bad idea. Looking at the general condition of the plug could tell you if you are burning more than fuel and air.

Could always piss off the neighbors and pull the cat off and see how she runs without them before deciding on spending time or money on the cat. :D

Last edited:

unbolting the cat was my next step after the fuel filter. i hate my neighbors, they will get theirs, me and my buddy used to pull the cats on all his cars at 2-4am in the driveway. also, i checked the oil dipstick, no water in there that i can see, and the truck has always had a little bit of white smoke come out the back, ran seafoam, 1/2 in vacumme line, 1/2 gas tank, it helped alot, but still its not that great.

The only problem to pulling the cats is the oblong shaped tube coming off the y-pipe.... now if you have some good welding/ fabbing skills (or you've got a buddy who does) go for it. Just letting you know it's not a standard size exhaust pipe to hook up to.

thanks for the insight, i was looking under it today before work and was thinking, that it was going to be a ***** to pull it out, but i talked to my buddie at work, he said we could just pull the cat out, cut off the bits that involve bolts,(i hope that makes sence) and weld them to this old cherry bomb i had off of my old cutlass, looks to be the same length, im not worried about emissions because florida isnt worried about them either.

just started up the truck (with a bunch of starter fluid mind you) so i could move it to the driveway so i could pull the cat.(last thing i wanted was a bunch of fire shooting out over dry grass) and i pulled forward, but as i went to back into the drive way(has a slight incline mind you) it just wouldent do it, i had to slingshot the truck down the road a bit to make it up the driveway, then turned around and (barely) managed to get it up the driveway. do you guys still think it could be the cat?

just started up the truck (with a bunch of starter fluid mind you) so i could move it to the driveway so i could pull the cat.(last thing i wanted was a bunch of fire shooting out over dry grass) and i pulled forward, but as i went to back into the drive way(has a slight incline mind you) it just wouldent do it, i had to slingshot the truck down the road a bit to make it up the driveway, then turned around and (barely) managed to get it up the driveway. do you guys still think it could be the cat?

Well if this helps, my brother in law was working on his gf's car.... pretty much same scenario, did all kinds of work to it and nothing helped.
He finally gave up and took it to a shop they nixed the cat, and all is better. This was on a 98 accord... it wouldn't idle over 1200rpm, and squealed really loud.

turns out the bolts on the front of the cat are welded on, looks like a project for another day. :thumbdwn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

put in a new fuel filter, helps a little, but runs worse, if that makes sence...

Back