Serious Issue I Think | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Serious Issue I Think

Knock Knock

Knock on the bottom of those cats with a lump hammer, try to dislodge the blockage. Also check your air filter if you havent already, mine gets clogged with sand when I run on the dunes alot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have pretty much ruled out the air filter, because when i start it, unless it has ran in the last few hours, i need to unhook the whole air filter bit, and spray a bunch of engine starting fluid in it to make it start. if i unplug the MAF sensor it makes no difference. but back to the air filter, i dont reattach the whole thing untill after its going and it still runs like poo. im debating buying a second car, but i really dont want to do that. also i tapped on the cat with a hammer lightly, didnt hear a rattling or anything, should i just put the force of a thousand gods into it and crack it once really nice?

i have pretty much ruled out the air filter, because when i start it, unless it has ran in the last few hours, i need to unhook the whole air filter bit, and spray a bunch of engine starting fluid in it to make it start. if i unplug the MAF sensor it makes no difference. but back to the air filter, i dont reattach the whole thing untill after its going and it still runs like poo. im debating buying a second car, but i really dont want to do that. also i tapped on the cat with a hammer lightly, didnt hear a rattling or anything, should i just put the force of a thousand gods into it and crack it once really nice?

I would try cleaning out the mass air sensor. There is a special cleaner the parts stores sell to clean the MAF and it's the only thing that won't F*** it up. That's $4 or less.

While you're there cleaning the sensor, check the intake tube for cracks. This is pretty common on 1st gen trucks. Worst case scenario if ya needed a new tube, I have one laying around that I'm not using.

I'd start there, if things don't improve check a junkyard, and get ya a mass air sensor. The last time I bought a mass air sensor from the junkyard it cost me $30.

I know I myself don't have a mountain of money laying around (cause if I did I wouldn't have a "fix-it list" for my truck) so I presented the $$$ friendly-ish ideas to get you going.

Mystery Explore Death Syndrome? :scratch:

I am currently battling a VERY similar issue on my 93 ranger, I have Identified the problem as the injectors pulse width not changing from idle. I have tested and/or replaced EVERY sensor with no resolve. I am going to try a junkyard ECM but I am not confident that that will help either.

I had two older rangers that suffered from this also. they were both parked because of this. I have refered to it as "Mystery ranger death syndrome" I have had a thread going on therangerstation.com for a couple weeks with similar responses. I figured it would also apply to Explorers.

My symptoms:
1)Came on slow started as an intermittant problem last summer, now always.
2)Runs ok cold , will not rev or make power shortly after warm up.
3)Idles good always, never dies
4)Disconnecting MAF makes it run better, dies when reconnected

what I've done: in order.

DIS6 Ignition module (replaced with JY Part)
Coil pack (replaced with JY Part)
plugs and wires replaced
TPS test good
MAF test good (replaced with JY part)
CTS test good
O2s replaced
Fuel pressure test good (and pump and regulator replaced)
Air box/cats checked

Finally to verify fuel condition I ran a jumper wire to pins 13+14 on ecm (injector circuits) grounding those circuits forces open the injectors. Truck will take off when I manually add fuel by opening injectors. obviously fuel not being deliverd.

I measued injecter pulse :thumbdwn: does not change much from idle....???
5% idle to 80% WOT when running well
5% idle to 40% WOT when running like stink.

That was a PITA test but atleast verified for me that it was a fuel issue and nothing else. It may be worth your time to do that as well, before you waste money and time going in the wrong direction. Like I have...

So far though no answers here, Ideas anyone?

the thing is this problem just started happening one day, it sputtered a lil bit, so i figured it was running out of gas, and parked it untill i could afford more gas. and it just stopped working, unless i start it with starter fluid. and runs like poo all the time. i dont dare drive it because i really dont want to pull out of my road onto the main road and get slammed.

where abouts is the ecm located, im to lazy to search the net for this, been working all day.

well i did a dash or research on it this morning, and i looked to where i heard that it was located, under the hood, behind the engine right beside the brake booster, they lied....

well i did a dash or research on it this morning, and i looked to where i heard that it was located, under the hood, behind the engine right beside the brake booster, they lied....

No, they didnt. That is exactly where the computer is......on a '93 Ranger.

Check behind the pass side kick panel.

define, "kick Panel" please.

define, "kick Panel" please.

The plastic panel on the right or left of your feet in front of the doors below the dash. The pooter is on the pass side behind that panel.

like infront of the door on that side? is that panel hard to remove?

kickpanel.jpg

That thing. (I know its not an Explorer, but you get the picture.)

just pulled out the computer opened it up and low and behold the 3 resistors are chard on the bottom to the point where it has burned away one of the contacts.

SWEET! umm, I mean, crap.

At least you found the problem, and can now get it fixed. :thumbsup:

also, could this be in any correlation with my tempermental power seats, non working 4x4 and power mirrors, and the over sensitive alarm?

also, could this be in any correlation with my tempermental power seats, non working 4x4 and power mirrors, and the over sensitive alarm?

No, none of them have anything to do with the ECM.

Back