• Register Today It's free!

serious water leak

ugjdturner

Reaction score
City, State
Wyoming/Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer XLT 4.0 ohv
My 97 4.0 explorer has developed a serious coolant leak, the coolant is coming down the passenger side of the engine bay but I cant tell from where exactly. It kind of looks like its coming out the head gasket but I am thinking there would be coolant in my oil if this were the case. Anyone know if there is a common issue with the ohv 4.0 that causes this and am I correct in thinking there would be coolant in my oil if it is a head gasket. I can fill the radiator and overflow and after driving only a couple miles be out of coolant.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same problem with my 99 4.0 SOHC and it turned out that the water pump went bad, and the coolant was dripping down the lower radiator hose. Not sure if that is your issue, but its something you could look at.

But then again, a bad water pump wouldn't cause you to leak out that much coolant just over a few miles. Is your 4.0 the OHC or SOHC? I have heard that the OHC engines have problems with the heads warping over time.

Anyone know if there is a common issue with the ohv 4.0 that causes this and am I correct in thinking there would be coolant in my oil if it is a head gasket.
Please complete your details, you only need to do it once.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375816

OP- Renting a coolant pressure test kit would eliminate any guessing. Most
large parts stores loan them free with a refundable deposit. Call around. GL

My 97 4.0 explorer has developed a serious coolant leak, the coolant is coming down the passenger side of the engine bay but I cant tell from where exactly. It kind of looks like its coming out the head gasket but I am thinking there would be coolant in my oil if this were the case. Anyone know if there is a common issue with the ohv 4.0 that causes this and am I correct in thinking there would be coolant in my oil if it is a head gasket. I can fill the radiator and overflow and after driving only a couple miles be out of coolant.

Check the water pump to heater core hoses at the heater valve. I've had numerous leaks there that dripped down the passenger side of the block.

Also check the radiator my 5.0 98 had a coolant leak and was losing coolant but couldn't find the source. The radiator was leaking at the seam and collecting in the splash guard, read X's are notorious for this.

Also remove the wheel, and that plastic dust cover, look in there as the water is leaking , I just had to replace a freeze plug on my sons 96 4.0 Explorer

But then again, a bad water pump wouldn't cause you to leak out that much coolant just over a few miles. Is your 4.0 the OHC or SOHC? I have heard that the OHC engines have problems with the heads warping over time.
Its the OHC 4.0 sorry thought I mentioned that.

Im going to say your heater core itself in our 92 it leaked right by the pass door and you had to add water after every time you drove it ford made it to were it would persperate outside the car

I had a similar leak, it was my lower intake manifold gasket.

Yup, im confused what motor also. This is extremely important if you want help

Can you upload a picture of where the leak is?
My money's already on the lower intake gaskets, but we need to be sure.

Back